News - Reporter I - Sports
The American News/aberdeennews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a sports reporter with expertise in storytelling on all platforms.
Aberdeen, S.D., is an economic and education hub, home to two colleges, three high schools and one of the most successful junior hockey programs in the North American Hockey League. It's also home to numerous outdoor opportunities from hunting to hiking and fishing to birdwatching. Nearby parks and lakes offer countless options.
We are looking for somebody to share the stories and successes of area teams and athletes and to tackle important issues to the local athletic community. We’re looking for someone who can develop a deep network of sources, has a skill for storytelling across platforms and enjoys working with a team.
This reporter should be comfortable taking photos, producing video storytelling and using live chats, social media and other digital tools to present news in novel ways. They will use metrics to understand what’s resonating with readers and will shape coverage to steadily increase target audiences.
This person will work with the Aberdeen newsroom and will be part of the broader South Dakota reporting team that includes papers in Aberdeen and Sioux Falls.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains, and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Report quickly, clearly, and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Famille d'emplois Frontline Journalists
- Fonction professionnelle Consumer
- Type de paie À heure
- Études requises Expérience équivalente
- Aberdeen, Dakota du Sud 57401, États-Unis
- Dakota du Sud, États-Unis