Metals (Steel, Al) Industry Engineer
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your passion for sustainability in manufacturing? Energetics is seeking a metallurgist or engineer with experience in metals production operations and an interest in next generation technology and clean energy strategies for decarbonizing steel and other metals manufacturing in the United States. Qualified candidates will support the DOE’s Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) with technical advising, analysis, and R&D program support. Metals manufacturing experience in alumina and aluminum production and processing or foundry operations will be particularly valuable in this position. Knowledge of other metals production such as industrial steel manufacturing processes as well as trends towards sustainability in the industry is also relevant. As part of your work, you’ll gain knowledge about cutting-edge technologies, policies, and trends in industrial decarbonization. Join our team and help turn ideas into real impacts. Infrequent travel to DC and or MD may be required. Energetics provides a collaborative, flexible work atmosphere.
The Metals Industry Engineer will work in a highly collaborative atmosphere, interacting directly with government program managers. This position can be based in one of our offices (Washington, DC, Clinton, NY, San Diego, CA, Denver, CO or Columbia, MD), or as a remote telework position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and edit reports, talking points, articles, and presentations on subjects related to technical areas in the field of interest (metals manufacturing).
- Research decarbonization technologies and applications within the metals industry.
- Participate, network, and help coordinate stakeholder engagements and discussion with other experts in the relevant fields.
- Conduct technical merit review for R&D concept papers and proposals.
- Provide technical support and documentation for R&D program management activities.
- Work closely with EERE AMO program managers and staff in a fast-paced team environment (diligent and responsive contributor).
- Perform various research activities, including market and technology assessments and technical, energy, environmental, and economic benefits analyses.
- Develop and contribute to technical communications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, research summaries, briefings) and present results.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required (metallurgy, materials science, manufacturing, or similar engineering degree). 5 years’ experience with a Bachelor’sdegree or 3 years’ experience with a Master’sdegree required.3 years’ experiencemust come fromwithin the metals industry.
- Hands on experience in industrial/manufacturing plant operations.
- Strong interest in energy efficiency, carbon reduction and mitigation technologies, and clean energy.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; advanced analytical and Excel skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, interpersonal, and written).
- Demonstrated ability to excel when working on self-managed tasks.
- Adeptat multitasking.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- In compliance with Executive Order 14042, any successful applicant for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an accommodation from the vaccination requirement based on disability or sincerely held religious belief, on or before the start date.
- 5-10 years’ experience preferred.
- Technical background and knowledge of industrial decarbonization, low-carbon technologies, and/or energy efficiency strategies.
- Experience with process heating
- Technoeconomic Analysis Experience
- Grupo de puestos Operations
- Tipo de pago Salario
- Columbia, Maryland, EE. UU.
- Washington D. C., Distrito de Columbia, EE. UU.