Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Job Purpose: A brief summary describing the primary purpose of the job.
The Truck Driver I performs production driving responsibilities to support efficient operations to achieve and maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, and operational safety.
- Key Responsibilities: A bulleted list that includes the key responsibilities, tasks and duties of this job; including approximate percentage (%) of time it takes to complete the tasks, not to exceed 100%. You can add or reduce the number of duties depending on the job.
% of Total Time
Work as part of a team to achieve on-time performance including product quality standards, waste goals and operational safety including OSHA & EPA compliance.
Material Handling Tasks
Direct responsibilities include:
· Comply with all related material handling Standard Operating Procedures (S.O.P.s)
· Fuel, inspect, maintain and operate authorized vehicles
· Forklift and/or clamp truck set-up, inspection and maintenance
· Load, unload, inspect and stage newsprint, preprints, commercial print products, and other materials
· Document and report all preprint transit or handling damage to packaging management
· Document and report all newsprint roll transit or handling damage to warehouse and/or press management
· Perform general maintenance including cleaning delivery vehicles, forklifts & clamp trucks
Always work in a safe manner and consistently utilize required safety equipment to promote top-of-mind safety awareness:
· Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tag-out, Hazardous Communications, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood Borne Pathogens, Forklift.
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use.
· Immediately report any potential safety hazards, operational concerns and all accidents/injuries and near misses to operations management and supervisors.
· Provide timely and accurate reports and information to the operations team and management.
· Immediately report equipment issues to management.
· Communicate scheduling needs to press management and supervisors.
Other duties as assigned
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Area of Influence. Indicate the position’s primary area of responsibility (e.g., Head of a Business Unit, Department, etc.). Identify internal client groups or dotted-line reporting relationships that are critical to the job. Please include the frequency of the contact, if relevant.
- Shipping, receiving and distribution dock
- Packaging and press room
- This may include special skills, statutes or regulations, and department procedures.
· High school diploma or GED equivalent
· Vocational training or work related experience.
· Properly licensed Valid non-commercial driver’s license (at the required level/class) with satisfactory motor vehicle record
· OSHA approved annual forklift/clamp truck operator training certifications.
Experience Required or Preferred
· Qualified local or interstate commercial delivery experience and driving history.
· Minimum two years of experience operating similar equipment.
Specialized Knowledge Required or Preferred
· MSDS/hazardous materials training prior to hiring?
· Knowledge of OSHA regulations required.
Universal Skills and Traits Preferred (i.e., excellent written or verbal communication skills; ability to work autonomously; self-starter; etc.)
· English language fluency: Speaking, reading and writing
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Good time management skills working in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
· Mechanical aptitude
Technology/Equipment Expertise or Proficiency
· Vans, pick-up trucks, box trucks and trailers
· Forklift/clamp truck operations
· Basic PC Skills including Microsoft Office: E-mail
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc.
- Job Family Transportation
- Job Function Gannett Publishing Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hutchinson, KS, USA