General Assignment Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
This reporter will cover a general-assignment beat in Memphis, a dynamic city that is home to major, International brands like FedEx, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and International Paper, the NBA Grizzlies and the world-famous Beale Street entertainment district. The reporter would also join an award-winning newsroom at The Commercial Appeal. This reporter would be expected to cover a range of topics in the city and suburbs and write about a range of topics, from demographics to public safety.
We are looking for someone with at least two years of news writing experience and a demonstrated ability to use social media for sourcing and newsgathering.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Contributes to coverage of major events and national projects.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years of reporting/newsroom experience.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos on a smartphone, and some proficiency in recording and editing video.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Memphis, TN, USA
- Tennessee, USA