Growth and Development Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Tennessean is seeking an experienced reporter to cover the growth and development beat in booming Nashville. The successful candidate will break news daily about the real estate deals and development projects that are rapidly changing the face of the city, with a sharp focus on how this evolution impacts the people who call Music City home. The writer who joins our award-winning business team will have video and social media expertise, and a passion for storytelling.
The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This position requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources on breaking news stories as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Report and deliver a steady stream of news stories to growing audience that looks to The Tennessean as the definitive source of business news in Nashville and across the state.
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat through the lens of prosperity -- who has it, who doesn't and why.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, using social media savvy to bring news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time metrics to respond to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media platforms.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related discipline
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Expertise with all major social media platforms
- Video production skills a plus
About The Tennessean and Nashville
The Tennessean is the state's largest news organization, and is a fast-paced, collaborative operation full of ambitious journalists in every stage of their careers. Reporting frequently leads to rapid change at the state and local levels, and the newsroom frequently wins national awards such as the grand prize of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Journalism Awards, the Scripps Howard Award for Excellence in Breaking News and multiple Sigma Delta Chi awards. The Tennessean thrives on innovation and transformation and was named one of E&P's "10 That Do It Right" two years in a row. Its offices are located in the heart of Nashville, one of the most vibrant cities in the country. Music City more than lives up to its name, and its live music offerings are supplemented by three professional sports teams, an extraordinary food scene and abundant things to do. Middle Tennessee is rapidly growing and attracting a variety of new businesses on a regular basis.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Nashville, TN, USA
- Tennessee, USA