Collier County Watchdog Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Do you want to live in a beautiful community on the Gulf of Mexico? Do you want to write for an engaged readership at a news outlet that is committed to hard-hitting journalism that makes a difference and holds public officials accountable? Do you want to be part of a newsroom that values collaboration and innovation? If so, this is the job for you.
The News-Press and Naples Daily News in Southwest Florida, part of Gannett Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, seek a watchdog reporter who is an ambitious self-starter passionate about making a difference and holding public officials accountable.
This reporter, part of a team of reporters covering various cities and counties, will focus on Collier County, where growth and development, economic inequality, tourism, agriculture, and the environment are hot topics. The city of Naples is in Collier County.
He or she will focus on enterprising reporting and investigative coverage, digging into the issues and not settling for simplistic answers. This reporter will follow the money (and those who do the spending) — assuring readers their taxes are being spent wisely — and tell those stories in engaging and innovative ways and on a variety of digital and print platforms. This reporter will help to dissect problems that detract from the quality of life and celebrate those things that make it better. Through a combination of quick hits and deep dives, this reporter will challenge the status quo, highlight solutions, and tell stories of the region's extraordinary people and businesses.
This multimedia journalist should have a track record of finding great stories and be experienced in using social media both in reporting and in promoting them. He or she should be adept at source development; have experience using public records, databases, and other digital-focused tools; bring a rock-solid knowledge of AP style; and demonstrate a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years of professional experience; strong data or investigative internship will be considered.
- Experience with public records. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
- Speed and fluency with digital platforms and content management systems.
- Understanding of how to use social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit and how to tell multimedia stories.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- A curious mind and conversational approach to writing. This is a role that prizes communication, so clarity is key.
- Fast at writing and ability to take coaching well.
- Organizational skill.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Florida, USA
- Naples, FL, USA