Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Reno Gazette-Journal/rgj.com,part of the USA TODAY Network, is looking for a city editor to help lead our newsroom in producing quality daily journalism for a digital-first audience.
This position will collaborate with RGJ editors to coach reporters and photographers, edit copy and work with producers to ensure the RGJ’s stories are optimized and vetted. This is a job that requires urgency, but also strategy to ensure we’re chasing the right kinds of stories. That means rounding up the troops to get the news out and updated when something major happens while also ensuring conversations about follow-up stories, appropriate context and accuracy are happening too.
Right fit: You have excellent news judgment, editing and fact-checking skills. You use audience data and metrics to inform your work every day, but you use journalism to feed your soul – and you know how to turn both into powerful motivation in the newsroom. You communicate and work well with others – both in the room and across the country where colleagues will be connected to you remotely and in real time. In short, if you love news, this job is for you.
In this role, you’ll lead breaking news coverage in Northern Nevada, which includes the Lake Tahoe-Sierra region. The reporters and visual journalists you support are not chasing ambulances; their goal is to look for loopholes, issues and problems that affect the safety of our community. For just one recent example, Google “UNR dorm explosion” and notice the combination of traditional, watchdog and reader-focused utility. This is a starting point: You’ll help us get even better.
The Reno Gazette Journal is the leading news organization in Northern Nevada, focusing on journalism that changes lives and laws for the better. It’s won countless awards over the years, from a Pulitzer Prize to many top nods from the Nevada Press Association. Recently, some of its biggest accolades include a Murrow Award and a finalist nod for the Knight Award for Public Service. It's been covering this part of the country for more than 150 years.
Reno is a thriving metropolitan area that includes more than 450,000 residents. While it’s known nationally for its casinos, the people who live here know Reno as a home for people who love the outdoors thanks to the vicinity of Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, the Great Basin and the Sierra Nevada.
If skiing or snowboarding is your thing, it takes less than an hour to get from an office chair to a chairlift. Our region is surrounded by breathtaking hikes and mountain bike trails. You can kayak or fly fish from the river just outside our office. Reno is located about two hours from Sacramento and four hours from the Bay Area.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Can edit stories quickly and accurately.
- Knows how to coach writers toward crisp, lean writing that flows out of the perspective of people living the story.
- Will work well with reporters, visual journalists and digital strategists to ensure the work reaches the largest possible audience and effectively engages that audience.
- Values diversity and inclusion and strives to build and lead a diverse team.
- Is comfortable working with data and pursuing records requests.
- Will be poised and effective when several stories are breaking at once and multiple urgent priorities are competing for attention.
- Knows how to turn readers into subscribers by helping reporters tell relevant stories worth paying for.
- Can teach and coach, not just edit.
- Experiments courageously.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or related field preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a digitally focused newsroom
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills.
- Fluency with audience metrics, social media and SEO.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Any examples of your work you’d like to share.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Nevada, USA
- Reno, NV, USA