Preps Sports Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Preps Sports Reporter
The Hutchinson News/hutchnews.com, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, a preps reporter who will make strategic decisions about coverage, break exclusive news, cultivate deep sourcing and provide thoughtful analysis.
The reporter will use metrics and audience research to guide decisions about coverage that will drive audience growth, engagement and digital subscriptions.
The job requires someone who is well-organized, motivated and can work independently while exercising solid judgment.
A successful candidate will experiment with innovative approaches to build audience. He or she will collaborate with other USA TODAY Network journalists in Kansas, the regional Digital Optimization Team and print-focused Design Studio.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news. He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across mobile, desktop and social media platforms.
Source development is critical to this position. This reporter will cultivate relationships with athletes, coaches, parents and school officials to provide greater analysis in our preps coverage.
He or she will execute central Kansas coverage with an emphasis on Hutchinson and write compelling features and analysis.
We're looking for someone with an interest in covering central Kansas with an emphasis on Hutchinson.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Connect with readers through social media.
- Provide thoughtful analysis about area preps teams, athletes and sports.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Assist with coverage of University of Kansas and Kansas State University sports on an as-needed basis, as well as other local sporting events of high interest, such as racing at Heartland Park.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least a year of professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Hutchinson, KS, USA
- Kansas, USA