Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Detroit Free Press/freep.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a data reporter to build databases and data visualizations and write stories.
Candidates should be clever, creative, and able to work with numbers. You will be a part of the newsroom web team, which focuses on meeting readers where they are, no matter the platform. You will work closely with reporters and editors.
- Building and maintaining databases that drive subscriptions and engagement.
- Writing stories in alternative forms and based on data that explain, inform and delight. This includes some Natural Language Generation, which we are prepared to teach.
- Visualizing data, including charts and maps, for news and social media.Using story form to boost readership and SEO.
- Working with the newsroom's data reporter to brainstorm ideas for stories, visualizations and databases, and to check calculations.
- Challenging users and inspiring conversation with creative ways of visualizing data.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years in data journalism or statistics.
- Some statistics.
- Web scraping.
- Data visualization programs, including charts and maps.
- FOIA requests.
- Relational databases.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your updated current resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Detroit, MI, USA
- Michigan, USA