The Tennessean is seeking an experienced reporter to cover the region’s fast-growing auto sector.
Equal parts business reporter and branded personality, the reporter chosen for this position would be the face of The Tennessean’s auto coverage in Nashville. She or he would be charged with raising the profile of our coverage of an industry that employs more than 130,000 Tennesseans and accounts for almost $23 billion in foreign investment. The successful candidate will be someone who can do on-camera news hits, moderate panels and balance breaking news stories with smart analysis and feature pieces.
The writer who joins our award-winning business team will have video and social media expertise, and a passion for storytelling.
The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This position requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources on breaking news stories as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat in a manner that will connect with families and industry insiders alike.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, using social media savvy to bring news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time metrics to respond to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media platforms.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related discipline
- At least five years of reporting experience
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Expertise with all major social media platforms
- On-camera experience a plus
About The Tennessean and Nashville
The Tennessean is the state's largest news organization, and is a fast-paced, collaborative operation full of ambitious journalists in every stage of their careers. Reporting frequently leads to rapid change at the state and local levels, and the newsroom frequently wins national awards such as the grand prize of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Journalism Awards, the Scripps Howard Award for Excellence in Breaking News and multiple Sigma Delta Chi awards. The Tennessean thrives on innovation and transformation and was named one of E&P's "10 That Do It Right" two years in a row. Its offices are located in the heart of Nashville, one of the most vibrant cities in the country. Music City more than lives up to its name, and its live music offerings are supplemented by three professional sports teams, an extraordinary food scene and abundant things to do. Middle Tennessee is rapidly growing and attracting a variety of new businesses on a regular basis.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.