Associate Editor - Remote
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Associate Editor - Remote
STUDIO Gannett/studiogci.com, is seeking an experienced editor with outstanding writing, editing, organizational, planning, communication and decision-making skills. We produce premium publications for USA TODAY on a variety of topics, including travel, culture, women’s lifestyle issues, as well as government communities. The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ experience at a magazine or other media outlet.
Experience in assigning, editing, project managing from idea conception to completion, and delivering impactful storytelling across print and digital platforms is required.
The person we are looking for has a keen interest in shaping a publication to distinguish the content to its target audience. Top candidates are creative, curious, smart, passionate and dedicated to excellence.
We are a collaborative, resourceful and enterprising team that comes to work every day with our sleeves rolled up, ready to learn something new that we can share with our audiences.
We take ownership of our individual products, and we take pride in raising the bar on excellence and creativity with each publication.
We are open to remote employees.
Job Level: Digital Editor IV
Minimum salary for this position: $80,000
- Managing print and digital products from end to end, which includes research, developing a content plan and a budget; hiring freelancers; assigning stories; collaborating with designers and photographers; posting content and photos to usatoday.com.
- Editing, writing, rewriting content for target audiences with a focus on intersecting engagement with agile, compelling storytelling.
- Conceptualizing and executing ideas that connect with readers.
- Working across the USA TODAY Network to aggregate content for repurposing and collaborating with Network partners.
- Copy editing and proofing pages for other in-house products.
- Juggling multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment with an eye toward detail.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Solid editing skills and strong news judgement.
- Sophisticated understanding of different audience platforms, user behaviors, content and strategy.
- Passion for collaborating with teams to find opportunities to engage and grow audiences.
- Great communication and organizational skills.
- Deep understanding of SEO and experience using social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and YouTube to build out storytelling and reach readers.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members working in remote settings throughout the country and abroad.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $80,000.00
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States