News - Reporter/Watchdog
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Courier-Journal/courier-journal.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an experienced reporter who delivers smart enterprise, exceptional writing and strong narrative storytelling on a variety of topics. This reporter would produce a mix of shorter, consequential stories on timely topics and deep dives that reveal new layers of a big news story. A proven track record of watchdog reporting and storytelling across multiple platforms is required. The successful candidate produces ambitious enterprise that sheds light on important issues and sophisticated reporting and writing that provides context to major issues of the day.
The ideal candidate also continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. The opening gives you the chance to work with an award-winning team of investigative and enterprise reporters in Kentucky’s largest, most ambitious newsroom that was awarded a 2020 Pulitzer Prize in breaking news for its unrelenting coverage of last-minute pardons issued by outgoing Gov. Matt Bevin and was a 2021 two-time Pulitzer finalist in breaking news and public service for its coverage of the police killing of Breonna Taylor.
The Courier Journal is one of the largest newsrooms in the USA TODAY Network and is an 11-time Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization in a metro area known for its nationally recognized chefs and restaurants; vibrant music scene, including the Forecastle music festival; world-class bourbon distilleries; and Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. The quality of life is sky-high and the cost of living is impressively low.
We are looking for someone who:
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues and has a keen sense of how to make those issues relatable
- Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change
- Contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism
- Upholds the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs and engages specific audiences and platforms
- Works with editors to evaluate metrics, what's working, what's not and to develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs
- Collaborates to provide all appropriate elements for stories, such as photos, videos and graphics
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5 + years of experience
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporter, producing, editing)
- Strong command of AP grammar and style
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Advance knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in public space
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. Put together a single document file that includes the following:
• Your resume - one to two pages.
• A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and why you are the best candidate.
• Links to at least 5 enterprise or investigative pieces you have produced.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Content
- Pay Type Hourly
- Kentucky, USA
- Louisville, KY, USA