Culinary Internship 2023 Summer
Crystal Mountain, 12500 Crystal Mountain Drive, Thompsonville, Michigan, United States of America
Thursday, October 13, 2022
The Culinary Intern will have the opportunity to experience several different positions within Crystal Mountains Culinary Department. During the three-month internship, the Culinary Intern will rotate through the positions within the back of the house department and will be provided a minimum of 320 hours of work. The intern will have a specific training plan and will be responsible for submitting a learning project proposal to the Executive Chef and should expect to present that project at the conclusion of the internship. The intern will have mid-term and final evaluation provided by the Executive Chef and a chance to build their internship portfolio along the way of completing the steps of their project. For this position, housing is available on property.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support chefs and project team on client projects.
- Develop recipes and menu items independently, including food, ingredient and menu preparation.
- Assists in the overall operation of the F&B culinary components of the resort.
- Provide reporting functions to management as required.
- Participates in special projects as requested.
- Participates in meetings as requested.
- Responsible for checking with Executive Chef and/or Sous Chef for daily job duties.
- Works along side line cooks on all tasks.
- Ensures all dishes are prepared and presented in accordance with standard recipes and requirements established by the Executive Chef.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary culinary environment.
- Performs banquet and kitchen line functions as directed by the Executive or Sous Chef.
- Ensures assigned workstation has proper level of par stocks and supplies according to daily menus and banquets.
- Attain and maintain the ability to perform the duties of all position in the kitchens.
- Assists Executive Chef and Chefs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in the hospitality industry is preferred.
- ServSafe Certification a plus but not required
- Computer literate: Strong proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point. Adaptable to learning new and customized software programs)
- Dedicated to exceeding service standards and providing services and standards to the highest caliber.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks, have a sense of urgency to complete projects and be detail oriented.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Adept at managing fast paced environment.
- Clear and concise verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to abide by the company appearance standards and compliance with the designated uniform.
- Dependable and meets goals.
- Exemplifies professional conduct and adherence to company Core Values.
- Must be enrolled in field related educational program.
- Internship program requirements will need to be presented prior to internship approval.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work at on ones feet for majority of workday.
- Must be able to work variable shift, weekends, holidays, and special events, as needed.
- Non-smoking candidates preferred.
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for this job and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of work systems at Crystal Mountain , the responsibilities of this position may change. The job must be prepared to accept new responsibilities and transfer others.
Crystal Mountain is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. 2020 Bronze Level Veteran Friendly Employer.
Established in 1956, Crystal Mountain is a family-owned, four-season resort destination located 28 miles southwest of Traverse City and a short drive from Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The resort features lodging, dining, downhill and cross-country skiing, two championship golf courses, shopping, award-winning Crystal Spa, Michigan's only alpine slide, the Park at Water's Edge, Michigan Legacy Art Park, weddings and a conference center. Visit www.CrystalMountain.com.
Job Start Date
Thursday, May 11, 2023
Job End Date
Thursday, August 24, 2023