Media Relations Specialist & Editor
Reporting to the Director of Communications & Media Relations, the Media Relations Specialist and Editor is responsible for supporting the implementation of the firm’s regional and national media relations strategy.
The position requires an understanding of the importance of proactive and reactive media relations as an important tool in positively positioning the firm’s brand, and in increasing its profile to the US based business and legal media in support of our business development and growth strategy. In addition, this individual will need to have strong writing and editing skills as they will be responsible for creating writing media releases, articles, pitches and attorney biographies.
This position requires a driven, self-motivated and an effective team player who works well in a fast-paced high-pressure environment, with a track record of media relations successes who can collaborate effectively with the marketing and business development team, attorneys and other support staff across the firm.
Approximately 70% of the focus of this position will be on media relations and 30% will center on writing and editing. This exempt position can be based in the firm’s office in Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or the Woodlands.
· Following the firm's communications and media plan, proactively promote lawyers and the firm initiatives to media outlets through the development of contacts in media outlets on a local and national basis.
· Writing and editing media releases, articles, pitches and attorney biographies.
· Assisting the Director in the implementation of a proactive media relations strategies.
· Conducting day-to-day media outreach for lawyers (e.g. media pitching, bylined articles, press releases, and the use of social media), coordinated responses to media inquiries, development of ongoing relationships with external media, and regular assessment of the effectiveness of media relations activity.
· Developing and implementing industry, practice and regionally specific media and communications plans and thought leadership initiatives.
· Assist the Director in the development and implementation of a media relations "disaster" plan.
· Develop, maintain and track the editorial calendars of national, local and industry media outlets.
· Other tasks and duties as assigned by the Director.
Candidates for this position must have background in media and/or journalism, with experience with traditional print and electronic media and strong writing and editing skills. Also required is knowledge and experience with new media, including website, social networking sites and blogs and an aptitude and ability to work with new tools and communications technology.
Excellent writing and editing ability, communications, and interpersonal skills and experience managing projects and deadlines with internal and external stakeholders are required.
In addition, the successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
· A Bachelor’s degree with a focus on communications or marketing.
· Minimum of two years’ experience in marketing and media relations.
· Strong project management skills.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills and solid editing ability are required.
· Sound judgment and problem-solving ability.
· Strong technical skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications.
· Solid multi-tasking capabilities and attention to detail.
· Enjoy working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
· Ability to maintain composure and produce accurate work under pressure.
· Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Job Family Winstead PC
- Pay Type Salary
- Winstead PC, 2728 N. Harwood Street, Suite 500, Dallas, Texas, United States of America