Tool & Die Maker - San Jose, CA
Working at Watlow
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a great living and be part of a thriving cross functional community? Watlow is a global technology and manufacturing leader who provides world class engineering expertise through innovative thermal products and systems, enabling our customers to thrive. We are making a positive impact every day as our solutions enrich the lives of people everywhere. We have been providing breakthrough thermal solutions for nearly a century. Our corporate values guide us uncompromisingly to always do the right thing, continually learn and improve, respect everyone and lead with service and humility.
About the Role
As a Tool and Die Maker your primary task will be Set-up, running and maintaining complex machines and align, train and review the work of other machinist. You will serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. You will provide support for machining operations of products and assemblies using manual and/or CNC machine tools. The Sr Machinist also performs preventive maintenance of machines, dies, molds, figures and tools.
Working within our constructive culture as the Tool and Die Maker you will advance and develop your autonomy, mastery and purpose, through coaching and leadership provided by your team leader.
Watlow understands that you can’t do your best work if you don’t have a real understanding of the Watlow business as well as strong relationships with team members from across the organization. At Watlow you will have many opportunities, both formally and informally, to build and maintain the cross-functional knowledge and relationships that you need for a successful and rewarding career.
In the role of Tool and Die Maker, you would be located at our San Jose, CA at our Advance Development Center. Your contribution is part of a global goal of supporting Watlow’s corporate commitment to improve all products and processes through prevention rather than detection.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Utilize drawings or CAD models to write programs and modify existing ones
- Create documents and back-up all programs. Update set-up sheets and tool lists as required.
- Check completed programs by running simulations or tests. Make calculations for programming run times.
- Determine sequence of operations and appropriate cutting tools
- Confer with appropriate engineering personnel (and outside consultants as directed) in preparing and finalizing programs.
- Analyze job order and identify necessary equipment required.
- Simplify tooling time for workers to increase productivity.
- Monitor programs to make sure they safely follow blueprint instructions and successfully complete the required tasks.
- Assure quality and production requirements are met, as per travelers, blueprints, etc.
- Participate in LEAN, SP, total quality management projects to achieve continuous improvement.
- Comply with all safety rules and company policies inclusive to the use of proper PPE gear, any equipment and report any facility defects to team leader, and promptly report injuries
- Use judgment to know when to refer issues to others
- Recommend and implement solutions within designated area of responsibility
- Technical troubleshooting of process, equipment, and product
- Identify ways to reduce waste and improve business processes
- Transfer knowledge from one situation to the next
- Demonstrate knowledge with Microsoft Office and other computer systems
- Demonstrate approachability and openness
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal listening and communication capabilities
- Minimum 3-5 years of on-the-job experience programming and machining Haas, and other PLC based controllers
- Experience in setting up and programing of CNC and manual machines to produce parts, dies, molds and fixtures
- Technical Troubleshooting of process, equipment and product
- Identifies ways to reduce waste
- Mechanical ability and understanding of engineering principles, part tolerances, ability to recognize mechanical disfunctions
- Ability to communicate with co-workers, supervisor, and QC personnel effectively (i.e. reading, writing, verbal comprehension)
- Able to work in a demanding fast paced environment with minimal supervision with occasional overtime as required
- This job will be performed in a Manufacturing Environment, and physically requires the ability to manipulate parts weighing up to 50 lbs
- Train and assist other operator s in use of equipment
- Program and run CNC machines, mills, drills, lathes, saws, shears, presses, punches and drill presses
- Setup and run manual machines to produce parts, dies, molds, and fixtures
- Maintain machines; sharpen tools, trouble shoot hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical equipment
- Read and interpret complex prints, draws sketches, correct prints, design step-by-step work processes
- Generate documentation (process and load sheets)
- Serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues
- Support engineering in creating Design for Manufacturing (DFM) CNC Programming Certificate from accredited tech/trade school helpful
- 3,4, & 5 axis programming skill preferred
- Semi-Conductor parts manufacturing experience
- ISO 9001:2015 and ISO:45001 Health & Safety
Benefits: The Watlow Total Compensation Plan
The health, well-being and financial stability of you and your family is a high priority to us. The Watlow Total Rewards Plan includes competitive compensation and a full range of life and career enhancing benefits:
- Annual Achievement Award
- 401(k) plan that includes a company match on your contribution and an annual company contribution that is tied to company performance
- Onsite wellness clinic
- Wellness incentives
- Employee Personal Assistance Program
- Dental, medical, vision and short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Paid holidays, personal time, and vacation
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
Diversity & Inclusion
We proactively embrace diversity in all its dimensions across our company and cultivate a culture of inclusion and forward thinking that respects and reflects each team member’s individual strengths, views, and experiences. Watlow takes pride in being an inclusive equal opportunity employer and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Please let us know confidentially if you need or require any special accommodations to participate in our recruiting process by emailing us at accommodations@Watlow.com.
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- San Jose, CA, USA