Assistant Vice President, Public Policy
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is an anti-poverty organization working to end homelessness in the New York area by 2050. We operate over 60 programs across New York City, Northern New Jersey and Westchester County including emergency, transitional and permanent housing. Our services extend to families experiencing homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, youth aging out of foster care, adults with behavioral health or substance use needs, and others in need, including a special education preschool program.
We are in search of new talent in the following position…
Position: Assistant Vice President of Public Policy
The Assistant Vice President of Public Policy will be responsible for leading all government relations, public policy, and advocacy efforts on behalf of VOA-GNY. The Assistant Vice President will develop and implement an ambitious legislative agenda that will help VOA-GNY navigate a rapidly shifting policy landscape and will work with a broad range of stakeholders to bring VOA-GNY’s expertise to bear in policy discussions.
Location: 135 West 50th Street • New York, NY 10020
Employees receive an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, life insurance, a retirement plan, paid personal leave, and much more.
To learn more about Volunteers of America-GNY, copy and paste this link into a browser https://www.voa-gny.org/our-services
Bachelor’s Degree required with 7+ years of professional experience in public policy roles in the non-profit or government sectors; Master’s Degree in a relevant field preferred. Familiarity with issues pertaining to homeless services, affordable housing, behavioral health and substance use disorders, and intimate partner violence is a plus. Other relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Familiarity with New York State and New York City agencies and legislative processes; experience in policy research, analysis, and advocacy.
- Ability to understand complex issues involving many stakeholders, organize an effective response strategy, and implement the strategy to completion.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with demonstrated experience conveying complex ideas and messages in a clear, persuasive, and succinct manner.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with public officials, advocates, and community leaders.
Assistant Vice President of Public Policy Principal Responsibilities:
- Serve as VOA-GNY’s primary liaison to the offices of federal, state, and local public officials.
- Analyze and track legislation, regulations, and policies that impact VOA-GNY, our clients, and our staff and keep appropriate stakeholders apprised of significant developments.
- In partnership with staff at all levels of the organization, develop a legislative strategy that is inclusive of a broad range of issues that are important to VOA-GNY, our clients, and our staff.
- Draft persuasive testimony, memos, and talking points that amplify VOA-GNY’s policy priorities and technical expertise; ensure that staff are prepared for meetings with public officials and governmental bodies.
- Collaborate with the marketing and communications team to disseminate policy-related messaging and respond to policy-related media inquiries.
- Build trust and strong partnerships with a range of stakeholders that will help advance VOA-GNY’s policy priorities, including, but not limited to, public officials and their staff, coalition organizations, and peer organizations.
- Serve as relationship manager and gatekeeper to our lobbying firm, tracking points of contact and follow-up across the organization.
- Track lobbying activities and expenses and ensure compliance with all filing and documentation requirements.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
To learn more about VOA-Greater New York, copy and paste this link into a browser: https://www.voa-gny.org/about
VOA-Greater New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories. Apply today!
- Job Family Administration
- Job Function Administrative Support
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $135,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $150,000.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 135 W 50th St, New York, NY 10020, USA
- New York, NY, USA