Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is an anti-poverty organization working to end homelessness in the New York area by 2050. We operate over 60 programs across New York City, Northern New Jersey and Westchester County including emergency, transitional and permanent housing. Our services extend to families experiencing homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, youth aging out of foster care, adults with behavioral health or substance use needs, and others in need, including a special education preschool program.
We are in search of new talent in the following position…
Position: Employment Specialist
As part of the multi-disciplinary team, the Employment Specialist is responsible for assessing resident’s interests, employment history, aptitude, and abilities in order to develop appropriate employment plans. The employment specialist initiates job development strategies, networks with non-profits that provide job opportunities, develops job opportunities in the corporate world and also maintains relationships with employees.
Jamaica Women’s Employment Shelter is a transitional shelter for women who are experiencing homelessness and are employed or deemed employable, and; referred by the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS). To learn more about the program, copy and paste this link into a browser https://www.voa-gny.org/housing
Location: 95–10 218th Street • Queens Village, NY 11429
Employees receive an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, life insurance, a retirement plan, paid personal leave, and much more.
Associates Degree or 60 college credits courses in Human Services field or High School Diploma or GED with 1 year of related experience. Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Computer literate. Excellent organizational skills.
Employment Specialist Principal Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with case managers in providing screening and assessment of resident’s educational and employment history, as well as abilities, interests, and aptitudes.
- Develop appropriate employment plans for residents in consultation/collaboration with other members of the job skills training team.
- Facilitate educational and employment readiness workshops.
- Serve as a liaison with various employment/vocational and educational training programs.
- Research, develop and identify employment situations for facility’s residents.
- Prepare statistical and other indicated Volunteers of America reports on a monthly basis or as needed.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
To learn more about VOA-Greater New York, copy and paste this link into a browser: https://www.voa-gny.org/about
VOA-Greater New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories. Apply today!
- Job Family CASE MANAGEMENT
- Job Function Counseling
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $22.96
- Max Hiring Rate $22.96
- Required Education Associate Degree
- Jamaica Women's Employment Shelter, 95-10 218th Street, Queens Village, New York, United States of America
- Queens, NY, USA