Under general supervision, the Admissions Specialist determines student applicants' admissibility. Other duties include evaluation of transcripts and award of transfer of credit based on standards and guidelines developed by the institution. In addition, the Admissions Specialist advises potential students and other internal departments on admission requirements, policies and procedures, transfer of credit, and related issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews all applications and administers the admissions decisions process as developed and defined by the University.
- Renders admissions decisions and/or forwards pertinent information to other reviewing authorities as required.
- Evaluates applications, high school credentials, and prior post-secondary credentials for admission
- Determines if institutions that applicants have previously attended are appropriately accredited to satisfy admission requirements and awards transfer of credit based on standards and guidelines developed and approved by academic leadership and faculty governance.
- Provides unofficial assessment of transfer of credit for prospective students when requested.
- Advises potential students and appropriate administrative offices on admission requirements, policies and procedures, transfer of credit, and related issues.
- Analyzes, authenticates and researches documents submitted for evaluation of transfer credit and admission to the University.
- Ensures that policy is upheld and applied correctly to support institutional accreditation, programmatic accreditation and state and regulatory requirements.
- Responds to inquiries from students, faculty and internal student service groups in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures that all information related to admission and transfer of credit is accurately entered in the student information system that appropriate documentation is stored in the student record, and that appropriate correspondence is sent to the applicant.
- Assists with maintaining an accurate transfer credit database.
- Assists with training of new and continuing members of the team on admission and transfer of credit related functions.
- Works closely with enrollment, academic advising, registration services, faculty, and other University administrative groups to ensure a smooth admissions process.
- Keeps current and ensures consistent application of academic policy changes, new program roll outs, changes to existing program curriculum and policies, and state specific requirements.
- Assists with special projects and requests, as needed and performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Manager, Admissions
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Not applicable
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree required.
- 2 years Higher Education experience within an Admission, Academic Advising, or Registrar Office preferred.
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and records.
- Ability to complete work and meet deadline requirements with accuracy and adherence to policies, procedures, and regulatory and state and federal requirements. .
- High level of comfort using computers and computer software/programs.
- Preferred Experience with student information systems, customer relationship management systems, and document management systems.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply academic and program policy correctly.
- Excellent written communication, collaboration, analytical and oral presentation skills.
- Detail-oriented, self-directed, and highly organized with strong time management skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office products
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Being Resilient - Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Drives Results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Customer Focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary.
- Job Family Student Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $20.19
- Max Hiring Rate $26.35
- Austin, TX, USA