The Salvation Army, an internationally recognized non-profit, faith-based organization, has a job opening for Corps Accountant for the Tallahassee Corps located in Tallahassee, Florida. This is a full time position.
Performs computerized double-entry bookkeeping tasks requiring basic knowledge of the principles and practices of fund accounting in order to properly record and maintain precise fiscal records and financial data; applies fundamental bookkeeping knowledge and skills to varied bookkeeping tasks such as posting, checking entries, issuing checks, balancing accounts, and preparing financial reports for assigned accounts; prepares and maintains financial records in an accurate, complete, and timely manner while ensuring the integrity, security and accountability of Salvation Army financial accounts.
- Posts and maintains a variety of ledgers; enters income, expense, and balance sheet data into computerized financial systems; proofs entries to verify accuracy, completeness and integrity; prepares and makes journal entries, balances accounts and prepares reports.
- Transfers totals from ledger accounts to routine financial statements; prepares Income & Expense Statement, Balance Sheet, Bank Reconciliation, Mileage, Self-Denial, Accounts Receivable and Payable Reports, etc.
- Posts and maintains accounts payable ledger; receives, dates, stamps, obtains approval stamp, and codes all invoices; matches invoices with appropriate back-up paperwork and purchase order; enters data into the accounts payable system; runs reports weekly to determine bills that are due; enters cash payments into the computer; runs checks, records disbursements in all cash ledgers, and distributes checks.
- Posts and maintains accounts receivable ledger; receives invoice payments and verifies amount due; prepares receipt, stamps check, posts payment, runs reports, and completes and files deposit slip; determines source of funds and makes appropriate entry into books; maintains records of amounts receivable from Divisional Headquarters, Territorial Headquarters, other units and vendors; collects amounts from officers and employees for personal phone calls, uniforms, etc.
- Receives, records, and deposits cash receipts; prepares daily tabulations and reports of cash receipts; distributes receipts to proper funds; makes daily entries into cash receipts ledger; makes adjusting entries as necessary i.e. voids checks and bank charges, etc.; prepares checks for deposit; reconciles bank balance to book balance.
- Classifies receipts and disbursements in accordance with established codes; maintains billing and posting of charges and credits to accounts; prepares summary reports.
- Posts payments of expenditures; issues checks as necessary; maintains specified fund accounts and verifies daily deposits.
- Prepares Divisional Headquarters remittance forms listing monies owed for insurance, statewide and support service, retirement, property income and expense, vehicle replacement, and miscellaneous.
- Prepares and balances bank reconciliations and copies financial statements from computer printouts to required forms.
- Generates complex financial documentation and technical reports.
- Maintains checking accounts by making daily deposits, tracking bank balance and reconciling accounts; follows-up with bank to resolve errors; maintains complete file of deposit slips and cancelled checks.
- Prepares and maintains records, databases, books, logs, lists, etc. in an accurate, complete, and timely manner; updates, posts and indexes information and inputs data into the computer to maintain records; researches files to locate specific information found in documents, correspondence, lists, forms, etc.
- Provides assistance in performing routine audits; assembles and prepares records for presentation to auditor; answers auditor questions as necessary.
- Develops and maintains a filing system of a variety of financial documents; maintains and utilizes the bring-up filing system; purges files to obtain and update information; ensures the files are maintained in an organized and efficient manner.
- Monitors and verifies monthly telephone bills and determines personal calls for proper collection and remittance.
- Serves as back-up support as needed; may perform secondary non-bookkeeping clerical functions in addition to normal bookkeeping duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic double-entry bookkeeping and fund accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of modern computerized double-entry data entry methods as they pertain to bookkeeping functions.
- Knowledge of modern office methods, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of Lotus 123, Excel, Word and accounting software in general.
- Knowledge of financial accounting systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of extensive body of accounting rules, practices and procedure.
- Ability to apply complex procedures requiring independent judgement.
- Ability to prepare routine and special financial reports and records.
- Ability to obtain numerical totals and balances and to verify information from complex forms and transfer to computers or manual reports.
- Ability to accept fiscal responsibility of assigned functionalized accounts.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all information associated with the job.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write and communicate the English language.
- Ability to operate a cash register.
- Ability to perform routine mathematical computations and count change.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
- Ability to keypunch information into a computer.
- Ability to sort and file documents alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to perform routine and complex mathematical computations repeatedly, rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to operate various general office equipment including a computer and 10-key calculator.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work on multiple projects at the same time without becoming frustrated or disorganized.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, bookkeeping, business or related field, and two years’ experience in the performance of increasing complex bookkeeping work utilizing a computerized accounting system (Great Plains preferred) with some exposure to double-entry fund accounting, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Physical ability to lift and carry and/or push/pull light objects (less than 25 lbs.).
- Duties are usually performed seated. Sitting may be relieved by brief or occasional periods of standing or walking.
- Limited amount of physical effort required associated with walking, standing, lifting and carrying light objects (less than 25 lbs.) 5-10% of work time.
Work is performed in a normal office environment where there are little or no physical discomforts associated with changes in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust, dirt, and the like.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon at the bottom of this posting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Job Family FL-NON-EXEMPT
- Job Function Finance
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.00
- Max Hiring Rate $17.50
- Required Education Some College
- 2410 Allen Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32312, USA