Store Clerk, Punta Gorda, Florida
The Salvation Army, an internationally recognized non-profit, faith-based organization, has a job opening for a Store Clerk for the Family Thrift Store located in Punta Gorda, Florida. This position is Part-Time with Benefits.
Assists store customers in donating, selecting, and purchasing store items; operates and maintains a cash register; responds to customer’s questions; maintains the cleanliness and orderliness of the store displays; ensures the security of store items and the cash register.
- Assists customers purchasing items from The Salvation Army by ringing-up sales utilizing a cash register; collects monies, counts change and prepares receipts; prepares and packages purchased items; prepares and balances the cash drawer and runs routine register print-outs; prepares and delivers bank deposits; ensures the security and accountability of all cash register funds and sales records in accordance with established operating procedures.
- Prepares, processes and maintains various sales records, tax forms, and social service vouchers; prepares routine sales reports as directed.
- Maintains the neatness and security of the cash register area; ensures that forms, bags, etc. are adequately stocked.
- Assists customers by explaining store policy and responding to questions regarding the pricing and/or purchasing of items; ensures that all customers visiting the store have a pleasant experience.
- Assists customers who are donating items to The Salvation Army; directs customers to the proper loading/unloading area, may assist with hauling donations to the storage area; prepares and provides tax receipts as needed.
- Places and arranges items in the store as directed; checks all store displays to ensure that items are maintained and displayed in a neat and orderly manner; rotates and/or rearranges stock as directed; returns items to the proper location after customer's have handled.
- Answers the store telephone in a tactful and courteous manner; assists customers by responding to questions and providing directions and/or general information; may schedule and record donation pick-ups.
- Cleans all display racks and shelves; sweeps and mops floors; cleans windows and mirrors; ensures that the store is maintained in a clean and inviting manner.
- Opens and/or closes store doors in accordance with the store schedule.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of effective customer service techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of basic mathematics.
- Ability to interact with customers and co-workers in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
- Ability to operate a cash register.
- Ability to perform routine mathematical computations and count change.
Materials & Equipment Used
Cash Register, Hand Truck, General Office Equipment
Education and Experience
High School diploma or G.E.D. and 1 year experience working in a retail store and six months working on a cash register, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to perform frequent walking and/or standing, kneeling, or squatting relieved by lesser periods of sitting or operating a vehicle.
- Work is performed in a normal store environment where there are little or no physical discomforts associated with changes in weather.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon at the bottom of this posting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
When an application is selected for review, typically, only applicants who indicate the relevant education and experience requirements, as indicated in the job description for the position, may be considered for job openings. Please FULLY complete the application, answer questions completely, honestly and to the best of your ability. Please also upload a copy of your resume (when available). Those applicants requiring accommodation to the application and/or interview process should contact a representative of the Human Resources Department at the applicable location.
We appreciate your interest in employment opportunities with The Salvation Army!
- Job Family FL-NON-EXEMPT
- Job Function Store
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1048 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, FL 33950, USA