Operations Mgmt - Operations Manager
Summary: The Operations Manager directs the efficient and cost-effective operation of our distribution center(s) and warehousing facilities. Manages inbound activities related to the receipt and storage of goods, inventory management, and claims. Oversees outbound activities related to order-filling, stock replenishment, shipping. Responsible for budgeting, customer service, facility, and equipment operation. Administers overall inventory management, productivity, accuracy, and loss prevention programs to ensure that customer requirements are met.
The Operations Manager reports directly to the Director of Operations.
- Improve the operational systems, processes, and policies in support of organizations mission -- specifically, support better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organizational planning.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems, and controls.
- Organize to service each business division while maintaining and improving overall operational and departmental efficiencies.
- Interface cross-functionally at all levels within the divisions of the company, including communication with offshore/subsidiary management, external resources, and concerns, such as freight forwarders, third party providers and governmental agencies.
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions for issues of a moderate to complex scope.
- Ensure proper compliance and adherence to all appropriate health and safety regulations and cleanliness requirements are followed both with regards for personal and inventory safety.
- Participates on divisional management teams and provides direct support to the divisions.
- Directs the operations of the warehouse team and the transportation team to achieve objectives.
- Effect necessary communication and motivation to staff. Monitors individual performance via observation and review of various productivity metrics. Counsels and disciplines, as necessary.
- Develop and maintain a productive work team via training and career development.
- Consistently promote a strong corporate culture, quality, and high-performance work teams.
- Promote continuous improvement including strategic reviews for the warehouse and transportation related functions utilizing quality process and participation in high performance and self-directed work teams.
- Responsible for administrative functions such as budgeting, equipment, and liaison to Customer Service.
- Develop and ensure that established policies, rules and regulations and procedures are followed.
- Develop visible procedure and key performance indicators to monitor quality and regular measurements to determine effectiveness of procedures implemented.
- Meet or exceed established goals relative to on-time delivery and shipping accuracy performance for customer shipments.
- Improve operational efficiencies to increase ability to process customer orders using both systems and physical improvements.
- Meet with other department heads about sales, purchasing, production and record control, so the warehouse and distribution activities remain coordinated and running smoothly.
- Keep stock control systems up to date and planning future capacity requirements.
- May oversee short duration projects relating to transportation, logistics, export regulations, and related functions.
- Provides warehouse safety leadership and is responsible for improved safety performance in the facility.
- Oversees warehousing and distribution activities to ensure processes and procedures are understood and followed; oversees warehouse and transportation compliance for inventory management, cycle counting, product handling, and other services as required.
- Develops leadership team and provides daily oversight for all operational requirements for warehouse operational staff and Transportation department.
- Drives costs savings with a focus on Visibility, Variability and Velocity.
- Provides proactive communications and solutions for distribution issues.
- Coordinates warehousing execution for divisional strategies; develop specific warehousing requirements based on strategic plans and customer expectations; designs the appropriate warehousing solution that incorporates logistics best practices.
- Provides direction for systems improvements and changes to operational requirements.
- Disbursement of checks for agency expenses.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Budget development and oversight experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view.
- Persuasive with details and facts.
- Delegate responsibilities effectively.
Bachelors Degree in Business or related field. A minimum of 8 years of experience in the development of warehouse operating processes and systems. A minimum of 5 years of experience in food distribution. Experience working in a high growth business. A minimum of 5 years previous supervisory experience required. Advance level of expertise with Microsoft Word and Excel. Must be able to operate common office machines. Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Pay Type Salary
- Chicago, IL, USA