After School Recreational Support Staff
We strive to create an inclusive environment in which all are seen, heard, and supported; encouraged to bring their whole authentic selves; and honored in their differences.
The Therapeutic Recreation Support Staff is responsible for providing services to participants with intellectual/developmental disabilities in a variety of therapeutic recreational activities in a group setting within the community. Support Staff will provide a safe, structured environment to build friendships, encourage physical and social activity, become involved members of the community, and embrace health and wellness.
Opportunities for YOU:
- Experience working with a variety of people and developmental disabilities
- Coaching, mentoring, and reflective supervision with TR Coordinators
- Flexibility to work around high school and/or college course schedules!
- Ability to work on your same school campus (Osseo High School and
- Hopkins High School sites specifically)
- Opportunity to transition seasonally into our 11-week summer program
- Group program means working in a supportive, team environment.
- Experience recreation in your own community!
Adventure After School: Program participants are ages 11 – 22 with developmental disabilities. Activities include life skills, social skills, cooking projects, arts, physical activities, sensory, and
science projects! Occasionally we go out to the library, park, bowling, and more!
Program participants are ages 23 and up with developmental disabilities. Activities include life skills, volunteering, social skills, and leisure education! Occasionally the group goes out on field trips to llama farms, library, humane society, and more!
Other opportunities upon hire include working in our Release Day or Weekend programs going out into the community on recreational field trips (Severs Corn Maze, Stages Theater, Nickelodeon Universe, Urban Air Trampoline Park, Swimming, and more!).
Support Staff are responsible for up to 3 clients at a time. Responsibilities include:
- Provide for the care and monitor the safety of the participant(s), assuring that their rights as an individual are maintained.
- Integrate the participant(s) into group social settings and assist with community involvement by participating in all activities with the participants.
- Encourage and motivate participation in group setting(s) and/or in the community, promoting developmentally appropriate activities, promoting positive behavior(s) and encouraging peer interactions among program participant(s).
- Ensuring participant(s) safety in the community as well as active communication and emotional regulation
This position offers the opportunity to work for an agency that is committed to inclusivity and diversity, employee wellness, the professional development of employees and the overall wellness of clients being served. St. David’s Center accomplishes these objectives through supportive & collaborative team environments, flexible work schedules and mission-inspired work.
4 current locations:
Venture Forward: 13231 Minnetonka Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55305
1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Hopkins Adventure After School: 2400 Lindbergh Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55305 (Hopkins High School)
3:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Osseo Adventure After School: 317 Second Ave NW, Osseo, MN 55369 (Osseo Senior High School)
2:20 PM – 6:00 PM
New Hope Adventure After School: 8701 36th Ave N, New Hope, MN 55427 (St. Joseph’s Parish)
2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Seasonal position (September – May)
You might be an ideal candidate if you meet the following qualifications:
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and an acceptable driving record (applicable to 18+ candidates only)
- Applicants must have the ability to use clear and understandable written and verbal English
- Must be able to monitor the safety and well-being of the participant(s)
- Ability to learn and perform procedures for the care of an individual with intellectual/development disabilities.
Preferred: Preference may be given to individuals with training and/or credits in high school/college level therapeutic recreation, recreation and leisure studies, social sciences, education, health care and/or human services. No experience with people with disabilities is required; however, a desire to work with people and a willingness to learn is essential .Experience with individuals with disabilities highly desired.
St. David's Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status or disability. All new employees will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (not to include booster doses at this time) or have an approved exemption before their start date.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hopkins, MN, USA
- Minnetonka, MN, USA
- New Hope, MN, USA
- Osseo, MN 55369, USA