Material Handling Operator
SAVAGE IS HIRING!!! Are you looking for a company that values you for the work you do?
Our Material Handling Operators come to Savage for the challenge, growth and focus on safety, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. Our company was founded on processing and transporting materials for our customers. We understand and respect our Team Members as the lifeblood of what we do. Team Members are encouraged to find a better way and are enabled to “do things they never dreamed possible”.
The successful candidate will be responsible to cover multiple shifts for other Team Members and will be operating all equipment necessary to remove Pet Coke from large drums including: jet pumps, hydro cutters, delta valves, and any asset pertaining to the coke unit and load-out system which Savage operates. This operation is located within the ExxonMobil Refinery in Baytown, TX. At this operation, we cut and empty material contained within large silos called Coke Drums, gather the non-hazardous material called Petroleum Coke with overhead cranes, then load onto conveyor system which carries it away to another site for ship loading or other means of transport.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
- $150 Steel Toe Boot Allowance semi annual
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Opportunities for growth
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
Here is what you will be doing
Perform proper decoking techniques by following all associated procedures while paying close attention to hot spots and
allowing for extra quenching where needed
- Working with the Crane Operator to un-head and re-head the coke drums, as well as performing the final sweep of the coke drum
- Operate crane to maintain proper pit & pad storage and load coke from pad to grizzly hopper by following all associated procedures
- Help maintenance personnel with equipment maintenance when additional manpower is needed
- Complete all necessary documentation as required including JHA's, permits, log entries, audit sheet, daily check sheets, etc.
Requirements of a successful Material Handling Operator
- Flexible schedule-will be working multiple rotating shifts to assist with PTO coverage
- Maintenance-mechanically inclined and have worked in jobs that require you to have ability to trouble shoot or fix mechanical breakdowns
- Equipment Operation - experience operating several different types of heavy equipment from various manufacturers
- Refinery or Industrial Plant Operations - experience with high safety standards and dangers of working in these types of environments
- Current and working knowledge of jet pumps, Valves and FlowServe equipment
- Strong written and oral communication skill in English with level equal to or higher than B2 according to CEFR
- Hands on Exposure with maintaining equipment using hydraulics, electrical trouble shooting, and pneumatic
- Operating back hoe, front end loader, dozer, or other heavy yellow equipment is a plus
- Solid knowledge and experience operating bridge crane
- Following safety regulations and written procedures within a refinery or chemical plant is a plus
- Coke cutting experience or drilling operations
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- High school diploma/GED
Here are some of the physical requirements for this role
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs frequently
- Physically able to handle large tools
- Must be able to climb on and off the equipment, ascend and descend a ladder
- Should not have a fear of heights
- Must be able to stand, kneel or crawl
- We operate 24/7, therefore our employees work a rotating schedule
- Ability to work outside in any condition and on extreme heights
The complete job description is available upon request
Savage has been designated as a 2022 Military Friendly Employer.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Baytown, TX, USA