Heavy Equipment Operator
SAVAGE IS HIRING!!! Are you looking for a company that values you for the work you do? Our Material Handlers come to Savage for the challenge, growth and focus on safety, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. Our company was founded on processing and transporting materials for our customers. We understand and respect our Team Members as the lifeblood of what we do. Team Members are encouraged to find a better way and are enabled to “do things they never dreamed possible”.
The successful candidate will be safely operate heavy equipment, such as Excavators and Loaders, to handle petroleum coke in the Valero St. Charles refinery in Norco, LA and assist in maintaining the equipment according to Savage standards.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
- $150 Steel Toe Boot Allowance semi annual
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Opportunities for growth
- Rotating Shift (Dupont Schedule)
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
Here is what you will be doing
- Contribute to a coke-handling team by operating several pieces of equipment that will help move, stock pile, and prepare petroleum coke for distribution
- Operate any of the following pieces of heavy equipment on a daily basis: E-Crane, a Cat 988 Loader, a Komatsu 1250 Excavator, and a Cat 247 Multi Terrain Loader
- Assist the operation with other tasks deemed necessary to meet customer expectations; i.e. maintenance, clean up
- Preform thorough pre and post-trip inspections
- Maintain cleanliness of equipment
- Expand personal knowledge of operating equipment
- Report maintenance issue to the maintenance crew
- Understands our critical service requirements and see they are met
- Take an active role in our safety program including attendance to all safety meetings and ensure safe behaviors
Requirements of a successful Material Handling Laborer
- Must meet refinery standards for entering the plant, i.e. clean criminal history, ability to pass a hair-follicle drug screen, and currently possess a TWIC card
- Caterpillar Excavator and front end loader experience is preferred
- Extensive experience operating large pieces of heavy equipment
- Must be able to pass St Charles site specific training on an annual basis
- The ability to work from written and verbal instructions
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules
- Must be able to safely perform the essential functions of the job without posing a direct threat to the safety of his or her own self, or the safety of others
- Ability to work overtime as required
- Must be able to read, write, and understand English
- 18 years of age or older
- High School or GED
Here are some of the physical requirements for this role
- Must be willing to work any shift, including weekends
Equipment Operators are routinely required to work outdoors and as a result are exposed to the elements
- Ability to physically handle large tools and equipment (60 lbs), climb on and off the equipment, ascend and descend ladders, and should not have a fear of heights.
- Ability to work at heights as well as climbing stairs, lift up to 50 pounds, and work in an environment containing coke dust and in hot, cold, and wet environments
- Ability and willingness to perform the essential physical functions of the position
- Willing and able to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) which could include a respirator
The complete job description is available upon request
Savage has been designated as a 2022 Military Friendly Employer.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- St Charles, LA 70394, USA