Industrial Rail Lead Loader - Portland, TX
Savage is Hiring!! Are you looking for a company that values you for the work you do? Our Rail Car Loaders come to Savage for the challenge, growth and focus on safety, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. Our company was founded on processing and transporting materials for our customers. We understand and respect our Team Members as the lifeblood of what we do. Team Members are encouraged to find a better way and are enabled to “do things they never dreamed possible”.
These are some of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage:
- Opportunities for Growth
- $100 annual Steel-toe boot allowance
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
The successful Lead Rail Car Loader candidate can be either a current rail facility operator or someone with a willingness to learn new skills and abide by the extensive training and direction Savage will provide. The Rail Car Loaders will switch and load rail cars safely and timely within our customer's new, state of the art, industrial facility in Gregory, Texas while delivering “worry-free consistency” to our Customer by safely and efficiently loading railcars with different grades of Polyethylene plastics.
Here is what you will be doing:
- Responsible for the daily required volume of railcar loading, with safe associated railcar movement in the loading area at the Savage Gregory, TX, operation
- Understand and follow Savage rail operating procedures and policies based on extensive classroom and field training
- Operate a locomotive\ Trackmobile – Savage will provide training and certification
- Operate on ground as switchman- Savage will provide training and certification
- Work in all areas of the loading building performing several tasks:
- Operating loading equipment
- Recording loading activities in a Customer computer system
- Thoroughly inspecting railcars before they are loaded for quality control purposes
- Taking accurate samples of product from each car, labeling and organizing with provided materials
- Performing pre-shift maintenance walk downs of the entire loading system
Requirements of a successful Rail Car Loader:
- Works safely at all times
- Ability to attend and pass all training associated with job related coursework. This includes but is not limited to: OSHA, HazMat and FRA related courses
- An understanding and willingness to act on communication and direction – the time windows that loads will need to be executed in to meet the needs of the facility will require close teamwork with the terminal master and washing/loading supervisor
- Experience in the rail industry is preferred but not required if willing to adhere to Savage rail training and best practices
- Heavy equipment experience a plus
- Ability to work alternating 3-4, 4-3 shifts on a 24 hour schedule that will include holidays and weekends
- Can read, write, and understand English
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent
Here are some of the physical requirements of this role:
- Railcar loaders will work both indoors and outdoors every day and as a result will be exposed to the elements. Over half the time work will be in a covered area.
- Railcar loader must be physically able to do the following:
- Climb on and off railcars and locomotives safely
- Climb stairs at least 10-20 times in a given shift
- Operate railcar hand brakes
- Operate rail switches
- Must have the ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Should also have the ability to use basic hand tools
- Able to work rotating shift schedule and overtime when needed
Savage has been designated as a 2022 Military Friendly Employer.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Gregory, TX, USA
- Portland, TX, USA
- Texas, USA