Plant Automation Engineer
SSAB has nearly 1,200 highly skilled employees in the U.S. Jobs at SSAB range from machine operators and sales people to advanced engineers and corporate professionals in HR, finance and more. SSAB offers challenging careers and comprehensive benefit program designed to keep employees and their families healthy and secure.
This position is responsible for a variety of software engineering and maintenance as well process engineering and maintenance functions including: analyzing process performance, evaluating necessary process changes, developing and designing process changes, managing the implementation of process improvements, maintaining all level 1 & level 1.5 hardware platforms
- Lead employees in following all SSAB safety regulations. Ensure that all company safety practices and procedures are adhered to and all employees are adequately trained to perform their various job assignments in a safe and efficient manner.
- Develop and enforce safety procedures and safe work practices to ensure the safety of employees and contractors in the performance of assigned work.
- Ensure that the area meets or exceeds all safety objectives, including JSA/SOPs, safety meetings, required monthly inspections, housekeeping and other safety deliverables to continually drive safety improvements
- Supervise and lead by example in following the company’s goals and values, enforcing policies and procedures, assist with recruiting, training, performance evaluations, employee skill development, discipline, retention and succession planning.
- Design, develop and manage process-related level 1 systems, engineering and research projects with the objective of developing new methods and practices that will ultimately reduce production cost, improve yields and provide better product quality.
- Provide expert advice, system troubleshooting and direct hands-on support to the Maintenance/Operating Groups in the Aux Services Department while ensuring compliance with established specifications and industrial standards. Maintain and continuously improve all of the Level 1 related electrical systems.
- Provide Process Control Software expert advice, system troubleshooting and direct hands-on support to the Maintenance/Operating Group of the Aux Services department including Water treatment Plants, Baghouse facilities and Main Power Substation.
- Manage Supervisory Computer Systems (Level 1 & Level 1.5)
- Hardware Management
- Perform time-based maintenance
- Isolate and replace obsolete field components
- Interface cabling with I/O devices
- Monitor system performance (error detection and recovery)
- Software Management
- Monitor applications for correct processing
- Back-up computer operating system and it’s applications on various platforms, (Maintain Asset Centre server).
- Analyse and troubleshoot operating system and application software
- Perform maintenance programming
- Configure system and application software
- Plan, design, develop, implement and maintain HMI applications
- Develop and manage various capital projects from conception to completion.
- Provide 24/7 maintenance response coverage for any Power Issues related to the operation of the SSAB Facility
Competencies and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years working with the electrical maintenance or design and engineering in industrial manufacturing environment.
- Experience working with multiple contractors on medium to large sized projects
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with employees, management and contractors
- Good computer skills; to include proficiency in Microsoft Office and MS Project, database management, networking, dedicated Software Development languages or software suites
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining composure and professionalism
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Capable of working effectively with minimal direction or supervision
- Proficiency in Control Logix and RS View programming languages
- Proficient with programming and tuning AC Variable Frequency drives
- 5+ years with production and maintenance processes within the steel industry
- Bachelor of Science in electrical or electronic engineering or a minimum of 2 years industry experience in electrical engineering and/or maintenance
- Good problem solving, organizational and communication skills, both oral and written
- Extensive knowledge in industrial schematics
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position operates in both the office and industrial environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment. This role is partially sedentary (average of 4 hours per day).
This position will often require work in the industrial environment with exposure to heat/cold, walking, climbing stairs/ladders, noise and wearing safety equipment/clothing for protection from hazards.
The position requires the following vision and hearing capabilities:
- Talking person to person, on the phone, and/or in group settings
- Hearing in person, on the phone, and/or in group settings
- Vision at near, mid, and far range
- Peripheral vision and depth perception
The employee will occasionally be required to:
- Balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or climb
- Push, pull, lift, and/or carry items weighing less than 50 pounds
- Twist at waist level, reach above shoulder level, reach at and/or below waist level
- Handle, grip, hold, and grasp with both hands together or separately
- Finger and feel with both hands together or separately; sense temperature and textures
The employee will be required to sit, stand, and/or walk as follows:
- Sitting 0-8 hours at a time; average 5 hours a day
- Standing 0-8 hours at a time; average 2 hours a day
- Walking 0-8 hours at a time; average 1 hours a day
- Alternate sitting and standing as needed
The employee will be required to use the following machines or tools:
- Desktop computer, database and control software
The employee will work in the following conditions:
- In extreme heat and extreme cold
- In wet and humid conditions
- Amid fumes, dust, dirt, and smoke
- In confined areas and high places
- Around equipment in motion
- Amid noise
- Amid mechanical, electrical, and chemical hazards
- Around industrial magnets
- While wearing safety equipment and/or clothing for protection from hazards
POSITION TYPE – WORK HOURS - TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Position is full time, exempt
- Positon works eight (8) hour day shift, Monday through Friday – additional overtime as needed to manage breakdowns and other project work
- Travel less than 10% of time (driving or by airplane) in the field or at other SSAB locations
OTHER DUTIESPlease note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SSAB's values form the guiding principals of our company.
They shape our culture and characteristics. They serve as a compass for our actions and behavior, and describe what we stand for. Values guide us daily in making the right choices and doing the right things.
SSAB's values are:
- Driven - Together we create value
- True - Do what is right
- Ahead - Future in mind
- Pay Type Salary
- Montpelier - SS, 1770 Bill Sharp Blvd, Muscatine, Iowa, United States of America