Rhino Rescue Wildlife Care Specialist - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Care Specialist will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by overseeing all aspects of the safe care and handling of an assigned wildlife collection. This position reports to the Lead or Supervisor.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Prepares food and water for habitat wildlife
- Loads and unloads food from trucks
- Feeds exhibit wildlife
- Administers prescribed medication and keeps feeding records
- Observes assigned wildlife
- Reports abnormal conditions to superiors
- Cleans exhibit areas, pools, wildlife sleeping areas and service areas
- Cleans and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers
- Provides species-appropriate enrichment to assigned wildlife
- Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned wildlife
- Responds to questions from the public concerning exhibits
- Provides exhibit security
- Participates in capturing, incapacitating and moving wildlife
- Participates in and supports wildlife training programs
- Assists medical staff in treating wildlife
- Performs minor or routine maintenance on exhibit enclosures
- Reports maintenance needs
- Operates a variety of light and medium equipment
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Candidates with Wildlife Training or Rhino experience preferred.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- 1 – 2 years of work experience in a Zoo or similar environment where appropriate knowledge and skills in wildlife care could be acquired.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology, Life Science, or other related field preferred.
- Current valid California Driver's License in good standing.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Wildlife behavior
- Wildlife biology and zoology
- Care, feeding and handling of wild wildlife
- Safety practices around wild wildlife
- Techniques for restraining or capturing wild wildlife
- Public Speaking
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others
- Adhere to the organization’s policies, procedures and regulations
- Competently perform the essential functions outlined above
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Escondido, CA
- Position Type: - Full Time Hourly Non-Exempt Union 4 Day/10 Hour Position - If selected, there will be fees and dues to be paid to the Union
- Hourly Rate: $24.29
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA