Close: March 29, 2023
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Executive Director or Designee Hours: 40 Hrs/Wk – Full Time
Salary: Based on Salary Matrix + Benefits* Requisition #:
*Salaries are market competitive. For accurate salary information, call (253) 573-7863 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians provides a generous benefits package that includes employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a retirement/401(k) plan with profit sharing, paid holidays, and paid time off including birthday leave.
This position assists the department in performing moderately complex duties in specialized areas of HR. Position may be assigned to recruitment, benefits, training, HRIS, employee relations or a combination of areas dependent on the department’s needs. Work assignments will vary, require input into the development of processes and procedures, assist with the collection of facts and data and coordinate activities for the department staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position will be assigned duties and responsibilities operating within the functional areas of Human Resources to include Recruitment, Training, Benefits, HRIS, and Employee Relations which support the overall operation of the department. As department workloads change, this position will be expected to provide support where needed.
- Provides support to the HR department by assisting with day-to-day administrative duties such as answering phones, customer service, data entry, routing documents and providing back up support to the HR Assistants and department staff.
- Responsible for creating general correspondence, preparing and managing reports and data and maintaining logs and tracking worksheets.
- Assists in all areas of HR, but may be assigned tasks and projects dependent upon the workload experienced within the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for managing hiring process from beginning to end, including job posting, applicant review process, interview and selection process, preparing hiring documents, and onboarding process.
- Processes Emergency Hire requests, prepares a list of qualified candidates for the hiring manager and Assistant Executive Director’s review.
- Assists the Assistant Executive Director with researching, writing, reviewing, and editing job descriptions as needed, including compensation market research.
- Assists with transfer and promotion requests, determines if it meets policy requirements. Prepares checklist, memo and routes for signature.
- Responsible for managing the Hiring Tracking Worksheet, and ensures that hiring timelines are met
- Develops recruiting plans to attract qualified applicants and fills specific job openings and works with external recruiters, as needed, to identify potential candidates, and researches new places to advertise open positions.
- Works directly with WFD department to assist Tribal Members with obtaining employment. Invites WFD Director to observe Tribal Member interviews.
- Prepares a weekly summary of job openings for the Tribal Communications department.
- Handles the Law Enforcement (LE) recruitment process. Schedules and conducts LE candidate physical and written testing. Works with LE and outside entities to arrange LE background checks and psychological, polygraph and medical testing.
- Arranges travel and lodging for out-of-town candidates as necessary. Assists new employees with relocation assistance when applicable.
- Assists the HR Team with the preparation of quarterly hiring/ethnicity reports to Tribal Council.
- Provides FML paperwork to employees, provides timely service of mandatory notices as required by FMLA; tracks FML hours for full time and intermittent FML, provides weekly report to Administrative Manager of employees on FML. Processes leave donation requests as needed, and tracks donated hours. Conducts employee leave studies as needed.
- Assists employees with retirement plan questions, including distribution, hardship and loan inquiries. Directs employees to retirement platform website to request distributions and loans. Notifies payroll of new loans and repayment plans. Send quarterly 401k eligibility notices, and annual catch up notices. Distributes disclosure notices and participant statements. Assists with Retirement Plan audit by gathering documents and researching questions posed by auditors.
- Conducts new hire orientation regarding employee benefit enrollment. Processes benefit enrollments, and sends General Notices. On a monthly basis, reconciles benefit invoices by comparing with a system benefit election report.
- Acts as a liaison between employee and benefit provider for coverage questions or issues, and communicates information back to the employee ensuring his/her understanding of the situation.
- Conducts exit interviews, collects tribal property from employee upon separation, notifies benefit provider of terminations for COBRA notices to be sent.
- Assists with benefits open enrollment including, communication to employees, review employee benefit change requests, coordinating annual Benefits Fair.
- Uploads bi-weekly payroll information to the ACA tracking database and enters employee status changes to database. Monitors benefit eligibility status for non-full time employees.
- Processes and tracks employee’s workers’ compensation claims, and oversees return to work and light duty accommodations.
- Prepares “snooze-lose” notices for employees with excess vacation hours.
- Schedules the following events; annual flu shot clinic, bi-annual participant meetings with 401k investment advisors.
- Responsible for data entry into the HRIS system, including personal data, employment/compensation data, benefit information, training certificates, performance and discipline data, etc.
- Generates various reports from the HRIS database as requested by HR staff.
- Acts as a lead to troubleshoot issues, manage employee questions, projects involving HRIS, and researches system updates.
- Acts as the point of contact for self-service questions/issues from Administration staff, assists with on-going training for employee self-service portal.
- Creates new processes to assist HR in daily duties, and creates user guides for processes.
- Responsible for performing research if a new HRIS system or program is needed.
- Trains new HR staff on HRIS system.
- Responsible for entering invoices in the Microix payment database.
- Responsible for coordinating meetings or interviews.
- May participate as a witness to meetings and take notes.
- Prepares materials for grievance hearings.
- Assists the Sr. Generalist with drafting letters and notices regarding employee relation matters.
- Provides information for unemployment inquiries.
- Performs intake for employee relation complaints.
- Assists supervisors with drafting employee relations documents.
- Works with supervisors on progressive disciplinary steps and issuing notices to employees.
- Responsible for scheduling trainings by securing training room and registering participants.
- Assists with the development of training materials.
- Creates notices and flyers to advertise training program to tribal employees.
- Tracks attendance for mandatory trainings, including new hire orientation.
- Assists Sr. Generalist with RFPs pertaining to training.
- Performs orientation and policy training as assigned by Sr. Generalist.
- Researches potential trainings and trainers for Sr. Generalist review.
- May assist with coaching and mentoring employees to manage conflicts at the lowest level.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities. May provide training to other staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
AA degree from an accredited technical school, community college or university and two years of related work experience in the HR or related field; or High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and four years related work experience in Human Resources or a related field; or other satisfactory equivalent combination of related education and experience. Intermediate to Advanced experience and knowledge using word processing, spreadsheets and database (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.) is also required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the community. Ability to write reports and collect data and facts that conform to prescribed style and format. Courtesy, accuracy, confidentiality and customer service are a significant aspect of the job.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to understand how to set priorities, develop processes and procedures, make sound decisions with little supervision and manage multiple assignments, projects and tasks.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from operating a GSA vehicle and complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy.
May be required to pass a background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
Must be able to work in a diverse environment with tact and diplomacy and be culturally sensitive.
Must be able to demonstrate superior customer service skills.
Must be able to maintain the strictest confidentiality at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level is low.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
- There is a need to meet tight deadlines and regularly stop and restart work assignments.
- Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
H o w T o A p p l y:
Apply online at https://us63.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/ptoiad or visit the Puyallup Tribe’s website at http://www.puyalluptribe-nsn.gov/Employment/.
Online Application Tips:
1. If you are using a MAC, use Safari. If you are using a PC, use Chrome.
2. Do not use a mobile cellular device.
3. Upload additional documents (resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, tribal documentation, etc.). Please include copies of any required degrees, certificates, training, etc.
4. Native Hiring Preference – If selecting a native category (native, spouse, descendant), send in the appropriate documentation. If you have any questions about the hiring preference policy or what document to send in, contact us.
5. Provide 3+ references. We cannot obtain references from direct family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, or children). One reference must be a recent past or present supervisor. We prefer the rest of your references to include co-workers, subordinates, or other supervisors, but we can accept a personal reference from someone who is familiar with your work ethic, skills/abilities, and attendance.
6. To add more employment, education, or references, click on the small blue + sign in the upper right corner of the page.
7. When entering salaries, use only numbers. Do not use any other characters (such as , . or $).
8. After you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email, please call contact Human Resources to confirm receipt.
If you have any questions about the online application, please call (253) 573-7863
or email email@example.com.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA