Law Office Attorney - Staff
Close: February 3, 2023
Job Title: Staff Attorney Department: Law Office
Provides legal advice and representation to the tribal government, the Tribal Council and various departments and programs of the Tribe. Drafts documents, litigates, negotiates and conducts legal research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides legal advice to Tribal government, including its governing body the Puyallup Tribal Council, departments, programs, and committees of Tribal government.
- Prepares and reviews contracts and other documents for the Tribal Council and departments.
- Negotiates agreements on behalf of the Tribe.
- Represents the Tribe in litigation and administrative proceedings.
- Drafts and revises Tribal codes and ordinances.
- Conducts legal research concerning Tribal, Federal and State Law.
- Provides information to the Tribal membership on relevant subjects and issues.
- Participates in planning and strategy sessions with the Tribal Council and government departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
Law degree (Juris Doctorate) from an accredited Law School. Experience and knowledge using word processing and Westlaw.
Employee must demonstrate the ability to interact tactfully and positively with Tribal members, all levels of staff and management. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common professional journals, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from staff and regulatory agencies. Ability to write reports and legal correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Ability to effectively present information to management, employees and groups of people. Ability to advocate on behalf of the Tribe in a variety of settings.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
Licenses or Certificates
Must be a Washington State Bar Association Member or pass the Washington State Bar exam at next opportunity after hire.
Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent the employee from complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy and driving a GSA vehicle.
Must pass background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed and the number of assignments and deadlines that are often required.
- Must have own transportation for travel to meetings and hearings.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
The undersigned has reviewed this job description and acknowledges that he or she is able to perform the essential functions and physical demands as required by the position.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA