Closes: April 10, 2023 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Grandview Early Learning Center Day Care
Reports To: Director of Culture & Diversity
Hours: 40 Hours/Week – Full Time
Salary: $29.22 - $31.30 per hour + Benefits*
*The Puyallup Tribe of Indians provides a generous benefits package that includes employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a retirement/401(k) plan with profit sharing, paid holidays, and paid time off including birthday leave.
The Executive Cook will lead the Puyallup Tribe’s Grandview Early Learning Center's effort to use healthy and nutritious food sources, including native foods to maintain the Child Care Food Program. This person will plan and/or create menus that include occasional NW Native food recipes, prepare foods/cook, supervise and train kitchen staff, manage all kitchen functions, order foods, utilize foods from the garden, manage budgets, and assist in native traditional recipe training and education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with Grandview Early Learning Center staff, create and maintain the Day Care’s early childhood food program.
- Prepare menus that meet nutritional needs of children, including allergy menus, traditional foods, garden to table recipes, order and store foods, post menus, and post and know all child allergies. Ensure no child is offered food that may cause an allergic reaction.
- In collaboration with all staff, create, maintain and manage emergency food services program for the Day Care.
- Creates, manages and evaluates annual food budgets, makes necessary purchases, assists in food preparation, cooks and serves daily breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack to the children and teachers according to the guidelines specified by the child care food program.
- Follows safety policies and practices, including filing all related records and reports.
- Responsible for upkeep and maintenance of work space, sanitation of food surfaces, oven, fridge, freezer, floors and cabinets to maintain a safe and sanitary environment. Ensures kitchen staff adhere to set standards, procedures, rules and sanitation requirements. With all kitchen staff, cleans and sanitizes kitchen daily in a timely manner.
- Trains and assists kitchen staff in food preparation.
- With Day Care Staff plans timely and effective food to classroom chedules Coordinates the food services with GELC functions, and assists teachers with food service, sanitation, and cooking experiences they plan for in the classroom. Participates in and/or conducts related in-service training.
- Occasionally cook for events related to Grandview Early Learning Center functions.
- Manage food and equipment inventory.
- Make recommendations to the Health and Safety Manager for all capital purchases, to include appliances, kitchen or cleaning equipment.
- Acts as a liaison with service vendors.
- Serve as a role model for all kitchen staff creating a positive work team, develop and cultivate positive peer and vendor relationships. Support a culture of enthusiasm, teamwork and superior service among all staff, peers, and vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position supervises all kitchen staff responsibilities. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Puyallup Tribe of Indians Personnel policies and procedures. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and counseling employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate’s degree in Nutrition, Food Service Management, or Culinary Arts and two years of related experience, including two years of previous supervisory experience; OR a minimum of High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and four years related experience and/or training, however previous cook experience is required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience working in a setting with allergen menus and Native food preparation required.
- Must demonstrate the ability to manage a budget, maintain inventory, plan and prepare nutritious meals and follow policies and guidelines.
- Must have current valid Food Handlers license.
- Must be able to pass state background check clearance to work in a child day care center and be able to obtain a food handler’s permit.
Must be comfortable learning the Lushootseed Tribal language.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Licenses or Certificates
- Food handler’s permit required.
- TB Test, First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Must have and maintain a valid state driver’s license.
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to employment and periodically throughout employment.
- Must complete and pass a drug and alcohol screening upon hire and throughout employment.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage food inventory control and basic nutritional requirements.
- Must be willing to attend trainings assigned by the Supervisor for professional development.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and climb or balance.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Work is performed in a kitchen setting.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
Online Application Tips:
1. If you are using a MAC, use Safari. If you are using a PC, use Chrome.
2. Do not use a mobile cellular device.
3. Upload additional documents (resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, tribal documentation, etc.). Please include copies of any required degrees, certificates, training, etc.
4. Native Hiring Preference – If selecting a native category (native, spouse, descendant), send in the appropriate documentation. If you have any questions about the hiring preference policy or what document to send in, contact us.
5. Provide 3+ references. We cannot obtain references from direct family members (parents, grandparents, siblings, or children). One reference must be a recent past or present supervisor. We prefer the rest of your references to include co-workers, subordinates, or other supervisors, but we can accept a personal reference from someone who is familiar with your work ethic, skills/abilities, and attendance.
6. To add more employment, education, or references, click on the small blue + sign in the upper right corner of the page.
7. When entering salaries, use only numbers. Do not use any other characters (such as , . or $).
8. After you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email, please call contact Human Resources to confirm receipt.
If you have any questions about the online application, please call (253) 573-7863
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $29.22
- Max Hiring Rate $31.30
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA