Distributed Energy Resource Service Manager
- Onsite, fully-equipped gym facilities
- Hybrid/flexible working arrangements for most roles
- Fleet cars for use by staff for local business travel
- Employee rewards, health and financial wellness programs
- Volunteer days and opportunities to participate in community events
- Culture of respect, commitment and camaraderie
The Distributed Energy Resources Services Manager is responsible for developing integration solutions through collaboration and coordination between the organization and its owner communities to provide benefits to all customers and to support achievement of Resource Diversification Policy and strategic initiatives. The Distributed Energy Resources Services Manager leads in the research, development, recommendation and implementation of DER integration solutions—which may include interconnection policies, enabling communication and control technologies, programs or electric rates—in consultation with a cross functional team of Platte River and owner community utility staff to make DERs visible, predictable, reliable and responsive to electric system operators.
We are looking for an individual who values collaborative work environments, is an innovative thinker and enjoys problem solving in a solutions-based manner. An ideal candidate for this role has experience developing and maintaining complex DER service solutions for a distribution utility. While this position is titled as a manager, it has no direct reports and is not a supervisory position.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Researches, develops, recommends and implements approved distributed energy resource integration solutions that make distributed energy resources visible, predictable, reliable and responsive to electric system operators. Electric system operators include those operating the owner communities’ distribution systems and the organization’s transmission, generation and distributed energy resources.
- Collaborates with a cross-functional team of Platte River and its owner communities’ utility staff to develop integration solutions that consider the perspectives of operations, distribution planning, transmission planning, resource planning, information/operation technology, cyber security, finance and customer service.
- Works closely with the organization and its owner communities’ planning and operations staff to support their planning efforts. Works closely with resource planning to ensure integration solutions provide reliability and financial sustainability benefits commensurate with costs.
- Collaborates closely with the organization and its owner communities’ finance and rates staff to ensure coordination between programmatic and ratemaking approaches to distributed energy resources integration.
- Provides technical support to organization and its owner communities’ energy solutions, customer services and marketing and communications staff to ensure distributed energy resources integration solutions are well received and supported by the owner communities’ customers.
- Works with other distributed energy resources staff to aggregate disparate distributed energy resources into a unified system to simplify and streamline operations. A unified system may be a distributed energy resources management system (DERMS), virtual power plant (VPP) or similar system.
- Develops integration solutions that can provide benefits in an organized wholesale energy market.
- Maintains awareness of individual owner community planning and solution development and implementation. Serves as a technical resource to the organizations owner communities in the area of solution development. Tracks adoption within the owner communities.
- Manages consultants, vendors and trade allies as required to develop and implement integration solutions.
- Works collaboratively with key stakeholders to understand their interests and to gain support for the organization’s distributed energy resources integration solutions.
- Develops and manages budgets necessary to complete assigned work.
- Maintains current with local, state and federal regulations and potential impacts.
- Maintains current with technology development and utility integration approaches.
- Works under the general supervision of distributed energy resources manager to ensure alignment with department goals, to communicate successes and to seek support when challenges are encountered.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
The following are required:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to research, develop, recommend and coordinate the implementation of distributed energy resources solutions
- Extensive knowledge of at least one distributed energy resources type or technology, such as distributed solar, distributed storage, demand response, load flexibility, electric vehicle charge management
- Extensive knowledge of one or more distributed energy resources integration solutions or programs
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and programs
- Excellent relationship building ability, teamwork and team leadership ability
- Ability to work with, engage and gain support of diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent customer service skills
The following are preferred:
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources solutions for electric vehicle charge management programs, distributed energy storage, distributed solar and demand response
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources telemetry and communication technologies, standards and protocols
- Knowledge of distribution system planning and operations.
- Knowledge of other utility systems, such as demand response management systems (DRMS), supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), meter data management systems (MDMS), customer information systems (CIS) and advanced distribution management systems (ADMS).
- Knowledge distributed energy resources operation in an organized wholesale market environment (eg., SPP, MISO, CAISO, NYISO).
- Knowledge of NERC and FERC requirements, specifically FERC Order 2222, Participation of Distributed Energy Resource Aggregations in Markets Operated by Regional Transmission Organizations and Independent System Operators and Order 841, Electric Storage Participation in Markets Operated by Regional Transmission Organizations and Independent System Operators
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, technology, business or related field is required.
Required work experience
- Three years experience researching, developing and implementing DER integration solutions in a utility environment, with a focus on solutions that improve visibility, predictability, reliability and responsiveness to system needs (electric vehicle charge management, distributed storage, distributed solar, and demand response programs)
- Three years experience working in and leading a cross-functional team.
- Experience providing excellent customer service.
Preferred work experience and/or qualifications
- Five years experience researching, developing and implementing DER integration solutions in support of distribution system planning and operational needs.
- Three years experience with distributed energy resources telemetry and communication technologies, standards and protocols.
- One year experience with other utility systems, such as DRMS, SCADA, AMI, MDMS, CIS and ADMS.
- One year experience in DER operation in an organized wholesale market environment (SPP, MISO, CAISO, NYISO).
- Current valid driver’s license and ability to remain insurable under Platte River’s vehicle liability policy is required.
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently sit, and occasionally stand and walk. The following are approximate requirements and percentage of time:
- Use of computer and other related equipment 55% of the time while sitting or standing
- Walking 40%
- Lifting up to 10 lbs. 5%
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other office machines and equipment. Hybrid schedule flexibility (up to 50% remote) is available for this role.
Bi-weekly salary range for position: $4,907 - $6,415 (placement DOQ)
(range if annualized: $127,600 - $166,800)
- Health insurance options including a PPO and high deductible health savings account with prescription drug coverage
- Benefit advocacy
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- Basic life insurance
- Basic accidental death and disability
- Dependent life and supplemental life insurance options (voluntary)
- Accidental death and disability insurance (voluntary)
- Long-term disability insurance
- Retirement plans 401a defined contribution plan 457b deferred compensation plan
- Paid holidays (12 annually)
- Paid time off: personal and sick leave
- Wellness program
- In-house training opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement Employee assistance program
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Platte River endeavors to make our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call us at 970-229-5323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be legally eligible to work in the United States. Platte River cannot provide employment to applicants who will require sponsorship now or in the future (i.e. H1B visa, OPT status).
- Pay Type Salary
- Telecommute % 50