Program: St. Nicholas House
St. Nicholas House is a 94-unit Single Room Occupancy (SRO) building providing permanent housing and supportive services to formerly homeless men and women and very-low-income individuals. A comprehensive array of support services is offered to the tenants, including medical, employment and recreational services.
Under the direction of the Building Manager, the Custodian is responsible for performing a myriad of repair and maintenance tasks daily to provide a clean and safe environment for the tenants and staff in the building; performs related work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Custodian include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Per an assigned schedule performs janitorial duties and cleans, sweeps, uses a buffing machine, mops, polishes and disinfects the floors in the lobby, and other common areas, including lounges, recreation areas, the dining room and the tenants’ laundry room in the building.
- Completes Work Order requests for minor repairs in the tenants’ apartments. These include such things as replacing light bulbs, wiping down light fixtures, changing plumbing and bathroom fixtures, replacing broken tiles, and doing minor painting.
- Completes all Work Orders in a timely manner while providing the Building Manager with detailed information regarding the tasks performed.
- Assists in preparing apartments for new residents and with the moving in/out processes. May assist tenants in moving furniture into and out of the apartments, and replacing furniture provided by the building such as refrigerators, bedframes, air conditioners, mattresses, tables, chairs, bureaus and televisions.
- Performs refuge duties including dumpster and compactor maintenance, sorting metal, carrying garbage bags to the curb and preparing items for the building’s recyclable plan.
- Works in the exterior of the building, sweeping and cleaning the sidewalks, and performing snow removal and de-icing functions when necessary.
- Assists in checking and as needed, replacing the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devises to insure that all are functioning properly.
- Maintains a proper level of supplies and materials for areas assigned to ensure the timely and efficient completion of required tasks.
- Accepts and moves deliveries into storage areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory staff.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- A minimum of six months of experience doing repair and maintenance work.
- Regularly required to walk throughout the 7-story building to complete assignments, and to make repairs in any of the 94 apartments in the building.
- Must sit, stand, reach, and crawl into tight spaces to complete assignments.
All newly hired Project Renewal staff must provide verification of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Min Hiring Rate $18.37
- Max Hiring Rate $18.37
- Required Education High School
- Permanent- St. Nicholas MBMC, 646 St. Nicholas Avenue, New York, New York, United States of America