PPAA--Government Relations Manager (WA)_Public Affairs
Why Planned Parenthood?
Working at Planned Parenthood is more than a job. It provides the
opportunity to contribute to our powerful mission and perform meaningful
work. In healthcare services, this means a commitment to providing the
absolute best in patient care and education. Our exceptional health center
staff drives our mission forward by upholding our acclaimed customer service
& confidentiality standards, and working to create a safe, judgment-free
space for anyone seeking Planned Parenthood services.
As an organization, we are focused on equity, diversity, and inclusion. Specifically, we recognize that profound racism impacts the education, health, and well-being of people in our communities, and we are actively working to address all forms of oppression. We believe our employees should reflect the diversity of the populations we serve, including racial and ethnic diversity. People of color are strongly urged to apply.
About this position:
Under the general supervision and direction of the State Director, the Government Relations Manager serves as the primary lobbyist for PPAA. The position is responsible for leading and managing legislative and agency advocacy on PPAA’s policy priorities by maintaining and enhancing relationships with elected officials and agency staff at the local, state, and federal level. This position is also responsible for monitoring, tracking, responding to, and helping to analyze other legislative and policy issues of concern to Planned Parenthood.
Salary ranges - 62,932 - 94,399 depending on experience.
What you’ll be doing:
· Serves as the PPAA representative to the State Legislature and is present at the state capitol throughout the legislative session.
· Develops, implements, and manages policy initiatives, establishes policy priorities and legislative and advocacy strategy for achieving policy goals under the direction of the State Director and Vice President of Policy and Regulatory Affairs and in partnership with members of the state and regional teams.
· Works with the state field team to develop and implement strategic grassroots lobbying tactics in support of policy goals.
· Monitors, identifies, and analyzes legislation and policies of interest to PPAA in the legislature and at the local level. In collaboration with PPAA and affiliate staff, assists with regulatory efforts and state agency advocacy as needed and directed.
· Leads staff and volunteer lobbying efforts with the state Congressional Delegation on occasion/as needed.
· Coordinates and delivers testimony before local and state legislators, legislative committees, and staff.
· Assists with the development of educational materials for the legislature. Assists in organizing lobby days, legislative and agency visits, including planning, scheduling, and activist trainings.
· Ensures a cohesive and coordinated approach to lobbying efforts by consistent communication with state and regional staff, as well as contract lobbyists (if engaged), including regular written reports to the State Director and Vice President of Policy and Regulatory Affairs.
· Supports and collaborates with the State Director and field staff to inform and engage the public, PPAA and affiliate employees, and volunteers by developing and disseminating policy and advocacy information and providing strategic guidance for communications and field efforts. Works in coordination with the PPAA regional staff team in reviewing and editing fact sheets, press releases, social media posts, newsletters, etc.
· Acts as an organizational spokesperson for local Planned Parenthood affiliates as needed.
· Provides informational and/or other support to electoral efforts as directed, including staffing the state Political Action Committee.
· Serves in a consulting role with the Field Manager for PPAA advocacy campaigns to ensure alignment between our presence at the legislature and in the public.
· Serves as a credible source of local political and public policy knowledge and information. Develops, grows, and maintains influential relationships with coalition partners and various work groups, elected officials and their staff, administrative agencies, community organizations, business organizations, the general public, the voting public, and other state affiliate and PPAA staff.
· Holds a presence within the health care provider community to elevate sexual and reproductive health in efforts to reform health care systems and delivery and defend against attacks.
· Seeks new opportunities to promote additional social justice issues alongside partner organizations to positively impact the communities served by Planned Parenthood. Works to diversify Planned Parenthood’s advocacy efforts and approaches, internally and externally, to increasingly broaden the range of racial, cultural, and other perspectives and experiences that inform and drive the organization, while maintaining a passionate commitment to the core mission of PPAA.
· Regular, reliable, and punctual attendance required. Attends meetings and trainings as required. Meets deadlines consistently.
· Files as a lobbyist and maintains compliance with all state lobbying reporting requirements.
· Works evenings and weekends as needed to accomplish legislative and campaign goals.
We’ll trust you to:
· Adheres to the PPGNHAIK code of conduct and all policies, procedures, and protocols.
· Demonstrates and maintains a high degree of professionalism.
· Takes action to support the affiliate’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
· Supports and acts in accordance with the PPGNHI customer service standards.
· Values continuous learning and seeks ongoing training and development.
Ability to travel both in-state and nationally as needed. Must have reliable transportation.
Directs the activities of interns and volunteers as needed.
BA/BS in related field preferred, or comparable professional experience.
You’ll need to have:
· 3 years of experience in organizing/advocacy work and with the legislative process or other policy advocacy work; policy analysis and lobbying experience preferred.
· Solid knowledge of the state legislative and political environment.
· Knowledge of or experience with reproductive health care providers, federal and state reproductive health care programs such as Medicaid and Title X, or health providers and health policy generally.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent public speaking ability
· Skilled at working independently as well as within a team, able to collaborate across organizations and amongst departments, exhibits a solid understanding of strategic priorities
· Possesses personal initiative, is self-motivated, and can successfully manage multiple tasks, work under pressure, and produce quality work within tight time constraints
· High level of leadership, judgement, and ability to manage multi-faceted campaigns and sensitive political situations
· Ability to communicate and find common ground with diverse people and groups, including legislators, state government staff, and others
· Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
· Ability to move fluidly from functioning in very formal traditional environments like the legislature to functioning and communicating with diverse activist groups in varied communities.
· Ability to translate varied cultural and other perspectives into legislative and policy work.
· Ability to develop relationships with diverse stakeholders.
· Proficient computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office and other common internet applications
· Commitment to protecting and promoting a full range of reproductive health and rights, and to pursuing the necessary policies to assure access to those services, information, and rights for all of the state’s diverse communities
Proof of completed COVID-19 Vaccinations and Proof of recent Influenza Vaccine is required prior to starting employment with PPGNHAIK.
As part of our total rewards package, we offer meaningful work, promotional opportunities, and competitive compensation. Our attractive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and eligible dependents, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, as well as a retirement plan with matching contributions by employer. For additional information regarding compensation, pay scales, or total rewards, please reach out to email@example.com.
Please click apply now below to submit an application and resume. Once your information has been reviewed by our recruitment team, we will reach out by telephone and email to schedule an interview for all qualified applicants. Please continue to check your spam folder for all email communications that may come from our organization.
Equal opportunity employment
PPGNHAIK is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support their retention and advancement within the organization. Justice is one of our core values, and we are committed to fostering a workplace culture inclusive of people with respect to their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, marital status, age, disabilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other characteristic. Our commitment to justice and diversity also means providing a work environment that is welcoming, respectful and engaging.
Racism deeply impacts the health and wellbeing of our communities, compounding existing disparities and creating intersectional barriers. We strive to name and address these barriers through community engagement and assessment, relevant and effective policy creation, and organizational accountability methods. We support initiatives that address all forms of oppression, however, maintaining an explicit focus on race is essential to advancing equity across our communities. Improving outcomes for people of color will improve outcomes for everyone.
- Job Function Manager
- Pay Type Salary
- Federal Way, WA, USA
- Olympia, WA, USA
- Puyallup, WA, USA
- Shelton, WA 98584, USA
- Tacoma, WA, USA