Paralegal - Insurance Defense/Medical Malpractice
Parker Poe, 620 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America Req #244
Monday, September 26, 2022
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments. We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
The insurance defense/medical malpractice paralegal will work in our Charlotte office supporting the professional negligence and product liability defense group. This is a nonexempt administrative position that reports to the Office Administrator and assigned attorneys. There are no direct reports to this position.
The Paralegal will work a regular schedule as determined by the Office Administrator and/or assigned attorneys. The typical schedule will consist of 7.5 hours per day equating to 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours (including overtime) will be required on occasion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist attorneys with complete case management of files, from initial filing of lawsuit through trial and appeal
• Draft correspondence to clients as well as assisting attorneys with drafting/preparing pleadings and discovery documents
• Compile and prepare documents for production
• Communicate with clients, witnesses, experts, outside counsel and court personnel with respect to scheduling meetings, depositions, mediations, hearings, and trial dates
• Experience organizing, indexing, and summarizing voluminous medical records and billing in complex medical malpractice cases
• Trial preparation, including electronic presentations, coordination of witnesses, and management of trial exhibits
• Assist attorneys at trial
• Conduct investigative research and gather information from a variety of resources
• Assist with retaining expert witnesses including preparation of records for review, supplementing materials throughout case, and assist with trial preparation and appearance
• Assist with electronic filings in Federal Court
• Assist attorneys with medical board matters, responding to subpoenas, and other misc. matters
• Other tasks as needed
• 5+ years of litigation experience, preferably with insurance defense/medical malpractice matters within a law firm, legal industry
• Nursing or medical experience a plus
• Trial experience a plus
• Paralegal certificate and/or college degree
• Superior computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite, experience with iManage a plus
• Experience using a legal time and billing system
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and accommodate rush requests
• Must be detail-oriented, be able to work independently as well as in a group setting and be able to handle large volumes of work in a fast-pace environment
• Must be a team player, willing to help other team members during peak times
Parker Poe is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes recruitment, employment, promotional and all other personnel decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Parker Poe, 620 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America