Lead School Age Counselor - Carrollton
Luter Family YMCA, 259 James Street , Smithfield, Virginia, United States of America Req #11859
Thursday, January 26, 2023
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the Child Care Director or designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Lead School Age Counselor is responsible for the supervision, health and safety of an assigned group of children between the ages of 5-12.
1. Minimum of 18 years of age.
2. High School diploma or equivalent required.
3. Minimum of 2 years experience working with children in a supervised setting.
4. Proof of a negative TB test within the last 2 years.
5. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2 required within 30 days of hire.
6. Medication Administration Training (MAT) Certification may be required.
7. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
8. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check, sex offender registry check, and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Assist School Age Director in communicating with parents regarding children’s needs and report daily activities.
5. Assist with staffing, discipline, and incident reports.
6. Maintain accurate attendance and incident reports for each child in compliance with state licensing. Maintain records of the number of children in the assigned group at all times.
7. Assist in the planning and implementation of the camp program under the direction of the School Age Director.
8. Assist in the ordering for the school age program under the direction of the School Age Director.
9. Prepare and clean up needed supplies and materials for daily activities.
10. Work with camp leadership to train staff in organized games and activities, including but not limited to, swimming, teambuilding activities, and arts and crafts.
11. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
12. Wear staff uniform and name tag, or professional attire when appropriate.
13. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
14. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow branch Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
15. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Youth and Family Services Department and branch operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Emotional Maturity, Critical Thinking & Decision Making, Developing Self & Others, Philanthropy
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to communicate and work with assigned ages and skill levels and provide necessary instruction to students.
2. Ability to observe student’s behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to assigned activities.
4. Physical strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of students.
5. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. Includes YMCA Adult Membership.
- Job Family School Age
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $12.55
- Max Hiring Rate $13.96
This posting is inactive.
- Luter Family YMCA, 259 James Street , Smithfield, Virginia, United States of America