Lead Lifeguard -Morning Opener-FT
Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Lead Aquatics Staff is responsible for the health and safety of program participants withan emphasis on ensuring Aquatics Excellence, the Lead Aquatics Staffwill work with all staff to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members, guests, and staff.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must have two years’ experience at certified lifeguard or swim instructor. Experience in both preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal), and human relation skills.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification or YMCA Lifeguard Certification Required. (YMCA Preferred)
- YMCA Swim Instructor Certification preferred but required within 3 months of hire.
- Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
- CPO (Certified Pool Operator) within 6 months of hire.
- Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
- Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
- Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Provide guidance to lifeguards during assigned shift and enforce staff policies and procedures.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Assist with training new staff.
- Lead Aquatics Staff will be visible on the pool deck at all times and will remain rescue ready/ and or ready to teach.
- Be familiar with the entire aquatic environment and on each shift make sure all emergency equipment is available and ready for use. Ensure that aquatic environment is free of obstructions and safe for participant use.
- Understand swim level skills, developmental levels, teaching styles and organizational patterns.
- Be available to answer questions and communicate participants progress.
- Perform chemical checks when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Staff must be at least 18 years of age to enter the pump room, and must be adequately trained to perform chemical related duties and pump room maintenance.
- Enforce all pool rules with all patrons in a fair, polite, and consistent manner.
- Responsible for maintaining all relative certifications.
- Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
- Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
- Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
- Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow center Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled and take lead when necessary or directed by supervisor.Timre
- Follow department Association standards.
- Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Aquatics Department and center operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Emotional Maturity, Critical Thinking & Decision Making, Developing Self & Others, Philanthropy
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Skills and Ability Requirements:
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test and meet requirements of ongoing drills.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Ability to recognize visual and verbal distress signs/actions from potential drowning victim within 10 seconds.
- Ability to respond to victim in water within 10 seconds.
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation including but not limited to: water emergency, respiratory or cardiac emergency, minor/major first aid and Code Adam/missing person.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Job Family Aquatics
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $14.00
- Max Hiring Rate $16.00
- Hampton Family YMCA, 1 YMCA Way, Hampton, Virginia, United States of America