Lifeguard - FT
Victory Family YMCA, 101 Long Green Boulevard, Yorktown, Virginia, United States of America Req #11852
Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Lifeguard is responsible for the safety of all patrons in the pool area. With an emphasis on ensuring the highest quality service to members and guests, the Lifeguard will work with all staff to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members, guests, and staff.
1. Minimum of 15 years of age (with Red Cross certification; 16 for YMCA).
2. YMCA lifeguard certification or if Red Cross certified, switch over to YMCA within 6 months of hire.
3. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
4. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
5. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Maintain vigilance without lapses in concentration.
5. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
6. Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
7. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
8. Wear proper attire:
a. Bathing suit (must be one piece)
b. Guard shirt
d. Rescue tube and CPR mask
e. Water shoes, sandals or flip flops (no street shoes)
f. No pants
9. Lifeguard should be positioned to maintain 180 degree scanning of pool/zone at all times.
10. Be familiar with the entire aquatic environment and on each shift make sure all emergency equipment is available and ready for use. Ensure that aquatic environment is free of obstructions and safe for participant use.
11. Perform chemical checks when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
12. Staff must be at least 18 years of age to enter the pump room, and must be adequately trained to perform chemical related duties.
13. Enforce all pool rules with all patrons in a fair, polite, and consistent manner.
14. Responsible for maintaining all relative certifications.
15. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
16. Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
17. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
18. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow center Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
19. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
20. Follow department Association Standards.
21. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Aquatics Department and center operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Functional Expertise
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
2. Ability to pass lifeguard water test and meet requirements of ongoing drills.
3. Must be able to remain alert.
4. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
5. Ability to recognize visual and verbal distress signs/actions from potential drowning victim within 10 seconds.
6. Ability to respond to victim in water within 10 seconds.
7. Ability to respond to an emergency situation including but not limited to: water emergency, respiratory or cardiac emergency, minor/major first aid and Code Adam/missing person.
8. Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
9. Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
10. Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
11. Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. 65% employee paid health/dental insurance, FSA, $25,000 Life/AD&D policy, vacation and sick leave. Includes YMCA Family Membership.
- Job Family Aquatics
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $13.50
This posting is inactive.
- Victory Family YMCA, 101 Long Green Boulevard, Yorktown, Virginia, United States of America