Coordinator - School Age
Hampton Family YMCA, 1 YMCA Way, Hampton, Virginia, United States of America Req #11854
Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the Child Care Director and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Child Care Coordinator is responsible for assisting in planning and staffing of the assigned Child Care programs. The Child Care Coordinator must abide by the requirements set by the Virginia Standards for Licensed Child Day Centers. With an emphasis on ensuring the highest quality service to members and guests, the Child Care Coordinator will work closely with other center leaders in efforts to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members and staff.
1. Minimum of 21 years of age.
2. Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred or equivalent experience required; core competency and course work required per the Virginia Standards for Licensed Child Day Centers.
3. Minimum of one (1) year experience in a related field; YMCA experience preferred.
4. Minimum of one (1) year staff supervisory experience required.
5. Certification in the YMCA of the USA Child Care training series within one year of employment.
6. Background must include strong skills in parent relations, staff development, and child development.
7. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2 required within 30 days prior to first day of working.
8. Medication Administration Training (MAT) Certification required prior to first day of working camp.
9. Complete and maintain required trainings to include: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment.
10. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check, Virginia State Police background check, and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Assist in recruiting, hiring and training staff and volunteers for the school age before and after school program and/or summer day camp.
5. Assist in supervision of all Child Watch, School Age and Summer Camp lead staff.
6. Assist and meet monthly with lead staff in the planning and preparation process for daily activities for Child Watch, School Age and/or summer day camp participants.
7. Lead daily activities with children in an appropriate, approved manner to ensure a positive experience.
8. Maintain proper documentation to meet or exceed state licensing requirements, the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsula Child Care Quality Standards, Association Standards and the YMCA of the USA Child Care Quality Check.
9. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
10. Assist in reviewing and evaluating all programs to determine participant needs and possible areas of improvement or growth.
11. Assist with the purchase, care, maintenance, and storage of program supplies and equipment in accordance with the operating budget.
12. Wear staff uniform and name tag, or professional attire when appropriate.
13. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
14. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
15. Follow department Association standards in regards to program safety and program operations.
16. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow center Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
17. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Youth and Family Services Department and center operations to ensure and excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Emotional Maturity, Critical Thinking & Decision Making, Developing Self & Others, Philanthropy
1. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the YMCA’s policies and applicable laws.
2. Responsibilities include assisting in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to communicate and work with assigned ages and skill levels and provide necessary instruction to school age and/or day camp childcare participants.
2. Ability to observe children’s behavior and assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to assigned activities.
4. Must be able to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as budget preparation and program planning.
5. Ability to reason and define difficult problems with limited direction as to means and results.
6. Physical ability to respond appropriately to emergencies and those situations requiring first aid.
7. Physical strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children.
8. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. 65% employee paid health/dental insurance, FSA, $25,000 Life/AD&D policy, vacation and sick leave. Includes YMCA Family Membership.
- Job Family School Age
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $13.12
- Max Hiring Rate $16.16
This posting is inactive.
- Hampton Family YMCA, 1 YMCA Way, Hampton, Virginia, United States of America