Café - Department Assistant (Full-time, full benefits)
TITLE: Café Assistant DEPARTMENT: Café
STATUS: FT, Assistant, Union, Hourly REPORTS TO: Café Manager
JOB SUMMARY: To ensure the highest level of service possible to Outpost’s internal and external customers. Supervise and motivate café staff to uphold high standards in the department. Order product to maintain a fully stocked department. Ensure a well maintained, clean, and efficient café.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Fast paced retail floor and café. Work near moving mechanical parts (i.e. coffee/juice machines, slicer) and in cold/hot climate conditions (i.e. cooler or near stove). Ability to work in moderate and loud noise environments including, but not limited to: computers, paging, telephones, human voices, and machinery. Position requires working during busy retail times, which include weekends, afternoons, and evenings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Customer Service
- Treat people fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Ensure efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
2. Café Department Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, and supervise all department operations in absence of café manager.
- Ensure customer service is the first priority of all staff in the department.
- Expedite customer orders with kitchen.
- Ensure customers receive their orders in a timely manner and have what they need to enjoy their dining experience.
- Check out customer’s purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices, codes and departments.
- Assign production and other tasks to café staff to ensure that daily jobs and all opening and/or closing duties are accomplished efficiently and accurately.
- Assist café manager with the production schedule.
- Coordinate the stocking of café items and supplies.
- Follow proper procedures in opening and/or closing café areas including: juice bar, hot case, prepack station, sandwich bar, bakery case, and seating area.
- Check all par levels of sub-departments including juice bar, sandwich bar, prepack station, and miscellaneous items.
- Maintain a clean and organized backstock area.
- Stock grab and go case to maintain an abundant and fully stocked display.
- Uphold department’s sanitation standards and health department requirements for food storage and handling. Ensure staff do the same.
- Uphold department safety guidelines to ensure the safety of all department staff.
- Ensure café equipment is maintained and properly serviced. Advise café manager of equipment/replacement needs.
- Assist with department resets and quarterly inventory.
- Backup café kitchen staff when needed.
- Attend department meetings as scheduled.
- Ensure professional and friendly service from café staff.
- Handle customer questions and complaints including on the premises and follow up phone calls.
- Ensure customers are all greeted and assisted in a timely manner.
- Provide product information to staff and customers.
Ordering and Receiving
- Order product and supplies to ensure department is fully stocked, while keeping inventory to a minimum.
- Receive and stock orders in a timely manner. Check condition of product and invoices for accuracy upon delivery. Ensure correct product rotation.
- Properly label café items with ingredient listing and pricing information.
- Review and log invoices in store and departmental journals.
- Assist in inventory control including: accurate recording of losses, department transfer of items, and quarterly inventory.
- Maintain clean and organized department displays, cases and work areas.
- Ensure department is kept neat and clean.
- Ensure all display areas are properly fronted and faced.
- Ensure proper shelf tags and sale signs are on products and displays.
- Request signs from pricing as needed.
a. Assign daily tasks to café staff and ensure they are always busy.
b. Positively encourage department staff to excel at their job.
c. Provide guidance and motivation and properly answer questions for department staff.
d. Replace vacant shifts when call ins, etc. occur. Notify manager of these occurrences.
e. Assist in training department staff.
f. Ensure café staff is following department standard operating procedures.
g. Assist café manager with employee job performance. Properly document employee performance during shift, when necessary.
h. Assist café manager in informing staff of any changes in policies and procedures affecting department staff.
a. Perform all duties included in department journeyperson and clerk job descriptions.
b. Perform manager duties in their absence.
3. All Staff Duties
- Abide by all Co-op policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and other company documents.
- Keep store orderly and clean.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by department manager or supervisory staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Experience in food service and food prep
- Previous supervisory experience
· Ability to appropriately delegate work duties and manage and motivate staff
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands, work under time pressures, and meet deadlines
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
· Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure
- Regular, predictable attendance
· Effective communication skills in English
· Ability to read and comprehend instructions
· Ability to follow through on systems, procedures and policies
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Standing, walking, bending, reaching
- Using hands or fingers to handle or feel
- Specific vision ability: close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and adjust focus
- Regular use of sharp cutting instruments
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Ability to taste and smell
- Pay Type Hourly
- Wauwatosa, WI, USA