Responsible to: Principal
The Long Term Special Education Teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating and maintaining a learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students with disabilities.
Essential Job Duties:
Plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students with disabilities. Long Term Substitute Teachers will be expected to perform these responsibilities:
1. Create an educational climate that promotes success, independence, a productive atmosphere, and provides students with encouragement, safety and stimulation.
2. Refer to or create, absent classroom teacher’s lesson plans based on a developmentally appropriate curriculum which follows the New York State Education Department Learning Standards and follow through with lessons/activities as described in those plans.
3. Consult with classroom team, therapists, and/or supervisors for any pertinent information in relation to students or families.
4. Promote success, independence, a productive atmosphere, and provides students with encouragement, safety and stimulation.
5. Prepare/implement lessons and other instructional materials to meet individual needs of students based upon their Individual Education Plan (IEP).
6. Demonstrate adequate knowledge of subject matter, critical and creative thinking and individualized instruction.
7. Create and implement effective behavior management techniques or plans for classroom.
8. Communicate effectively with parents (through notebooks, phone calls, conferences, district meetings, etc.).
9. Complete goal tracking based on student goals as per the IEP (progress and/or regression) if appropriate-leave notes/feedback for absent teacher.
10. Comply with all federal and state regulations and agency policies pertaining to HIPAA, false claims, whistleblower policies and all others.
11. Complete annual review reports/amendments/regression statements for school districts (including writing appropriate observable and measurable child centered goals.)
12. Complete Quarterly Progress reports on all students that are distributed to parents and school districts.
13. Participate in and share appropriate information at CPSE/CSE meetings with school districts and parents.
14. Act as team leader of classroom staff including assistants, therapists and social workers.
15. Perform all other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Computer skills
- Communication both verbal and written
- Ability to learn on the job and change quickly as situations require
- Communication: Oral and written
- Attention to detail: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Dependability: Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations
- Adaptability: Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
Minimum Degree Required: High School Diploma/GED
Minimum Experience Required: No experience required
License/Registration/ Certifications Required:
Actively working towards obtaining a NYS Teaching Certification
No NYS Teaching Certification but limited to employment for no more than 40 days in a given school year
– New Hire Orientation
The overall nature of the position is sedentary requiring little physical effort with occasional light physical exertion required. There is little, if any, exposure to environmental conditions
• The constant physical demand of the position is sitting.
• The frequent physical demands of the position are standing, walking, climbing, talking, hearing, repetitive motions, and eye/hand/foot coordination.
• The occasional physical demands of the position are lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, handling, grasping, and feeling.