Space Center Houston is a space exploration learning destination dedicated to revealing how science and humanity power space exploration through meaningful, moving experiences about people and the courage, innovation, and teamwork they use to expand the boundaries of what's possible. We inspire guests of all ages to connect with the significance of space exploration as incredible feats of human spaceflight continue to bring joy and wonder to the world. Owned and operated by the nonprofit Manned Space Flight Education Foundation, we are the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center and a Smithsonian affiliate.
We are seeking a full-time Communications Manager responsible for supervising the internal and external communications efforts of Space Center Houston, under the direction of the Director of Communications and Marketing and the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. The Communications Manager will lead the communications and PR efforts of the center by strengthening internal and external relationships that benefit the brand awareness and perception, while working together to encourage a culture of collaboration and respect. The Communications Manager is also responsible for creating and managing highly visible and effective PR campaigns and garnering ongoing positive earned media coverage for the center through the use of strategic, proactive and reactive public relations programs and excellent media relations. Responsibilities and qualifications are shown below:
- Create and execute a go-to-market communications strategy aligned with overall marketing goals and brand strategy using core messaging pillars to elevate the brand while achieving media KPIs (EMV, etc.)
- Supervise the day-to-day PR and communications activities and provide mentoring and guidance for the Public Relations Specialist.
- Develop and manage Public Relations budget working with the Director of Communications and Marketing and the CMCO.
- Proactively develop and implement strategic media relations and media outreach plans (local, national and international) and programs to communicate the organization’s key messages, achieve ongoing positive publicity and assist in achieving department, center and foundation goals.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local, national and international media.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with members and leaders of other internal departments to orchestrate positive coverage and ensure on-brand storytelling
- Oversee media inquiry response and earned media activities. Manage news media requests and other requests for interviews, stories, tours, broadcasting, photo shoots and filming in and about the center and the foundation. Meet and accompany press for on-site appointments.
- Serve as spokesperson and help other spokespeople present to media.
- Manage development of executive messaging in support of initiatives and the preparation of spokespeople for media interviews and speaking engagements.
- Represent the organization at external events with regard to issues related to communications and public and media relations.
- Plan and execute media training for designated staff members and SMEs.
- Support and collaborate with Communications and Marketing Team Members to develop and implement strategic PR plan to complement marketing campaigns.
- Develop fresh story ideas based on brand messaging buckets, research, write and issue/implement news releases, pitches, key messages, reports, webpage copy, presentations and other communications.
- Assist in crisis communications in conjunction with the CMCO
- Update the Center’s Crisis Communications Plan annually
- Manage all media and public relations events designed to generate positive publicity, encourage attendance, promote education and present the center and foundation favorably to the public, current and potential donors, and prospective employees and volunteers.
- Serve key internal department client(s) with its communications needs (public relations, marketing, and other messaging) by developing strategic plans for communications (marketing and public relations) and working with department colleagues to ensure plan is executed in a timely manner.
- Use strong communication skills to influence, guide and motivate stakeholders internally and externally with tact, reasoning, and sensitivity.
- Support and collaborate with the work of Communications Team members.
- Work with NASA Johnson Space Center Public Affairs Office to develop a cohesive and mutually beneficial working relationship.
- Leverage relationships with Visit Houston, commercial space partners, space industry media contacts and mainstream media to maximize opportunities for pro-active campaigns
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the field of Public Relations, Media Relations or Journalism.
- Excellent spokesperson to news media and excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent writing skills and experience in writing news releases.
- Strong working knowledge of local, regional and national media industry.
- Management/supervisory experience preferred.
- Available to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and be on call at times. Some travel may be required.
- High level of professionalism, energy, enthusiasm and collaboration.
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experienced utilizing media monitoring services to create reports, analyze data, etc.
- Knowledge of space exploration ecosystem preferred but not required
- Experience generating pro-active media coverage
- Pay Type Salary
- Houston, TX 77058, USA