MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
A. JOB DESCRIPTION
To provide quality service to medical providers in a customer-service oriented environment. The position involves performing various technical duties for routine patient visits. As clinical personnel in a team environment the position requires effective communication skills for a cooperative office. The employee will be required at times to perform under stressful conditions successfully meeting the demands of a large patient body, as well as physicians, in cooperation with receptionists. As an employee, and representative of the Murfreesboro Medical Clinic, the position requires professionalism in every interpersonal encounter ensuring the values of the organization a commitment to quality customer service. There are no supervisory responsibilities.
B. DISTINGUISHING FEATURE
The Medical Laboratory Technician must demonstrate competency and would perform moderately
complex testing as defined by the State of
C. ESSENTIAL FUCTIONS
- Correct understanding of the EMR//QUEST/ LIS system
- Receives and collects specimens including organizing and prioritizing work duties. Identifies and label specimens.
- Maintain accurate laboratory testing log and necessary documentation for all tests according to departmental standards labeling all specimens following set departmental standards.
- Record and maintain accurate log of various temperatures (incubator, room temperature, and refrigerator ) daily.
- Draw patient blood samples by venipuncture or finger stick observing strict principles of antisepsis to prevent infection of patient and contamination of specimens.
- Performs routine, special, and automated testing in hematology, serology, coagulation, chemistry, urinalysis, and microbiology.
- Assists in daily inventory of section reagents and general supplies and maintaining records.
- Produces and reports accurate results in all areas of testing, reports and immediately corrects all inaccurately reported data.
- Properly prepares specimens for shipment to reference laboratories.
- Maintains general housekeeping of assigned section and general laboratory.
- Understands and abides by all clinic and department safety procedures and infection control guidelines; knows location and use of OSHA and MSDS material.
- Records and analyzes quality control data for trends and abnormalities; does not report results unless quality control data are all within accepted parameters.
- Maintains supplies inventory communicating needs to supervisor.
- Receives calls pertaining to test result inquiries by clinical staff as well as reference lab reports via telephone,, and or computer transmission.
- Report varying in-house test results in addition to all abnormal findings to clinical staff.
- Demonstrates professional and independent judgment in daily work assignments.
- Compliant with HIPPA policies and procedures, maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
- Reports to Chief Tech
D. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
Reports directly to a Medical Technologist, Medical Laboratory Supervisor, then the Laboratory Manager.
E. CONTACT WITH OTHERS
Daily contact with physician, nurses, nurse practitioners, and office staff regarding scheduling tests, providing test results, test procedures, and laboratory test interpretations.
F. WORKING CONDITIONS
The incumbent has contact with uncooperative or abusive patients and handles hazardous chemicals and potentially hazardous infectious bodily fluids. Requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Frequent standing and walking required for extended periods of time. Lifts and carries item weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
G. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Medical laboratory principles, standards, applications, tests
- How to use/maintain laboratory equipment appropriately
- Appropriate quality control and confidentiality procedures
- Following appropriate testing procedures
- Medical terminology
- Computer technology and practice in a clinical setting
- Phlebotomy techniques
- Exercise independent judgement/decision-making and discretion in reporting/distributing results
- Establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, and staff
- Organize effectively and work quickly with a high level of accuracy
- Read and understand oral and written instructions to include procedures and protocols
H. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION
- BS or Associate degree from an accredited program in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Must be or eligible to be a registered Medical Laboratory Technician
- Must be Tennessee State Licensed
- Pay Type Hourly
- Main Campus - 1272 Garrison Drive, 1272 Garrison Drive, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States of America