Medical Billing Assistant - Hybrid Work Opportunity
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Medical Billing Assistant
Behavioral Health Services
$14.19 – $19.86 per hour
This posting will close on July 20, 2022, or earlier upon receipt of the first 50 application submissions.
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Patient Accounts Manager, the Medical Billing Assistant is responsible for conducting the day-to-day billing insurance verification and claim corrections. This position is necessary to maximize revenue generation from clients and third-party payers.
The department of Behavioral Health Services has embraced a hybrid work schedule that considers duties of this position may be performed remotely.
- Insurance Verification. Collect and confirm all insurance and payer information for all clients. Accurately add insurance details and client demographics to EHR. Verify coverage through online portals. Advanced knowledge of Excel is required to perform other tasks as assigned.
- Claim Correction. Identify missing fields or possible errors with claims. Make corrections to claims using multiple billing portals. Must have knowledge of CPT, HCPCs and ICD-10 national coding.
- Third Party Follow-Up. Gather the information necessary to correct accounts and claims by communicating with hospital staff, external contacts, and department staff. This task often requires critical thinking and use of good judgement.
- Client correspondence, telephone calls and self-pay follow-up. Follow-up with clients concerning questions about self-pay balances. Take credit card payments over the telephone. Collect new insurance information. Set up payment arrangements.
- Client Ledger Corrections. Verify cash, adjustments, and transfers to client accounts to determine if posted correctly. Determine if the information on explanations of benefits is reasonable and correct. Work on credit balances to determine valid refunds and overpayments.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Current resident of the State of Wisconsin at the time of application
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- At least one (1) year of recent experience working in medical claims follow up and insurance verification.
- Intermediate knowledge of all related computer and software applications, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Proficient at using general office equipment including a multi-line phone, copier, fax, printer, and scanner.
- Basic knowledge of INS Portals, 837 and, 835 reports.
- Must have knowledge of CPT, HCPC’s and ICD-10 national coding.
- Ability to push, pull, lift, and carry up to 15lbs.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: knowledge of the principles and practices of the medical billing field; oral and written communication skills, skill interpreting and administering plan documents; ability to work independently; ability to work effectively and harmoniously with peers, client departments; ability to maintain sensitive or confidential information.
THE ORIGINAL APPLICATION is open to all internal and external residents of the State of Wisconsin. APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF FILING APPLICATION.
An online application may be filed at www.jobs.milwaukeecounty.org. Candidates will be asked to submit a full account of their training and experience and may be asked to take a written or performance test as part of the selection process.
Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefits package. We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 1 - Financial Administration/General Control
- Job Function 6 Administrative Support
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $14.19
- Max Hiring Rate $19.86
- Travel Required No
- Required Education High School
- Milwaukee, WI, USA