Airport Ops Coordinator - 5061 GMIA - Airside Operations
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Airport Operations Coordinator I
Starting Pay: $24.92
Closing Date: 10/5/2022, or upon the receipt of 50 application submissions.
JOB Summary: This position exists to comply with Federal Aviation Administration and Transportation Security Administration regulations required to operate a commercial airport, General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) and a general aviation airport, Lawrence J. Timmerman Airport (MWC). The Airport Operations Coordinator is responsible for dispatching Milwaukee County Fire Department, ensuring the efficient flow of passengers and traffic through MKE facilities and roadways, completing daily airfield inspections at MWC, and to handle several forms of communication and dissemination of information to personnel at MKE and MWC according to established procedures.
- Perform inspections of airport facilities, roadways and evaluates hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions, security issues, and compliance with Airport’s policies, procedures, rules, and regulations. Document and take appropriate corrective action to ensure compliance and prevent personal injury and/or damage to airport property.
- Monitor, operate, identify, analyze, and respond quickly and logically to the following systems: Fire Alarms, Security, Cameras, Paging, Radios, Weather, Surface Systems, Flight Tracking. Dispatch and/or respond as appropriate.
- Answer emergency calls and dispatch Milwaukee County Fire Department (MCFD) in accordance with Airport policies and procedures and requirements defined in National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS). Collect all pertinent information and relay information and directions to responding MCFD units. Maintain location and status of all MCFD units and be knowledgeable in available resources, agency jurisdictions, and boundaries.
- Respond quickly and logically to airport emergencies, incidents, and accidents of various size, scope, and scale. Follow established emergency procedures and ensure compliance with FAR Part 139 and 49 CFR Part 1542.
- Take appropriate action to ensure the safe and efficient flow of passengers and traffic through the Domestic and International Terminals, Concourses, Roadways, and other facilities at MKE. Monitor and ensure that various airport construction and maintenance projects will not have an adverse effect on the safe and efficient operation of the airport facilities or the safety of airport patrons and employees. Coordinate international flight arrivals and assist with coordination of special events, irregular operations, and special weather events. Provide exceptional customer service.
- Periodic inspections of Lawrence J. Timmerman (MWC) airfield and airport facilities. Ensures compliance with Federal, State, County and Airport policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and ordinances.
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State, County and Airport policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and ordinances.
- Assist with customer needs. Answer phones, radios, and computer communication platforms. Disseminate information in an organized manner. Meet with various airport users and tenants to resolve routine operational problems and process routine requests and complaints. Provide escorts and tours, act as a security guard and courier. Knowledge of airport and communication skills.
- Collect flight schedules from airlines and input into a consolidated database. Create graphics upon request from Airport Management. Manage aircraft assignments for all flexible use gates, hardstand, and parking locations. Ensure compliance with the Flexible Use Resource policies and procedures. Monitor and troubleshoot Air IT gate and ticketing stations.
- Make sound decisions based on established procedures and resolve issues in a professional manner.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Qualified residents of the United States, able to establish Wisconsin State residency within six (6) months of hire.
- Possession of valid driver’s license at time of application with the ability to obtain a Wisconsin driver’s license within six (6) months of hire and maintained throughout employment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a High School Diploma/GED and 1 year of related experience.
- Employees must undergo a criminal history background check to maintain security clearance for unescorted access to secured areas of the airport
- A high level of Customer Service Skill is needed to perform the duties involved with this job.
- Intermediate computer skills necessary including operating Microsoft Office products, GIS/Asset Management software, and communication platforms (i.e., PASSUR, Emergency Notification System)
- The ability to lift/carry up to 20lbs and push/pull up to 20lbs on an occasional basis.
- AAAE Airport Certified Employee-Operations (preferred)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of airport operations practices, and procedures; knowledge of applicable Federal Aviation Administration and Transportation and Security Administration rules and regulations regarding operational safety; knowledge of Airport Emergency procedures; knowledge of airport facilities; oral and written communication skills; customer service skills; skilled in the use of computers, hand held radio, portable signs; decision making ability in stressful conditions; ability to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; ability to write clear and comprehensive reports; ability to solve problems using applicable regulations under stressful conditions; ability to walk or stand for eight (8) hours consecutively; ability to lift 20 pounds as needed; and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others.
Note: This Original Application is open to qualified residents of the United States. Appointee must establish Wisconsin State residency within six (6) months of appointment. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF FILING APPLICATION.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 12 - Utilities and Transportations
- Job Function 4 Protective Service Workers
- Pay Type Hourly
- Milwaukee, WI, USA