Alaska West Express, Inc. is looking for a reliable, energetic commercial driver to fill a local driving position in Fairbank, AK.
- Safe Driver Program
- Excellent benefit package including medical, dental and vision with low costs for full family coverage
- Employer-matched 401k program with a defined company contribution on 3%
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Incredible career advancement opportunity with opportunities within the Lynden Family of Companies which are unmatched in the transportation industry
Drives tractor-trailer combination to transport freight. Picks up, loads, unloads, and delivers freight.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position.
- Inspects truck and trailers for defects to ensure safe operating conditions before, during, and after trips. Notes condition of various equipment items such as tires, lights brakes, fuel oil and water. Submits written report on truck and trailer condition at the end of each day.
- Load and unload cargo and secures shipments using a variety of cargo straps, chains, dunnage, etc.; this process may involve climbing up and on to the deck of equipment, on to the load, and/or into and out of containers as needed.
- Conducts chemical transfer operations between highway cargo tanks, intermodal containers, intermediate bulk containers and stationary containers using pumps and hoses following procedures set forth in Industrial Health and Safety Manual Chapter 2.53 Material Transfer Operations.
- Unloads pneumatic bulkers of cement using blowers, following procedures set forth in Industrial Health and Safety Manual Chapter 2.53 Material Transfer Operations.
- Ensures that all shipping documents (manifest, bills of lading, delivery receipts, hazardous material placarding, etc.) required to transport the shipment are available and complete.
- Connects and disconnects trailers from tractor or from converter dollies.
- Drives vehicle to specified destination in accordance with company procedures and government regulations. Maneuvers vehicle in safe and efficient manner in situations such as heavy traffic, inclement weather, and difficult loading/unloading facilities. Install and remove tire chains as required by weather conditions.
- Operate forklifts in a safe, professional manner.
- Maintains telephone and/or radio contact with dispatcher.
- Maintains records required for compliance with State and Federal regulations including but not limited to the following: driver’s logs, vehicle inspections, hazardous material manifests and permits.
- Reports any and all health, safety and environmental hazards and/or incident involving cargo, vehicles, driver, personnel or citizens at large. Reports incidents (vehicle and/or cargo) or on-the-job injury immediately to the dispatcher.
- Complies with all company health, safety and environmental policies, including use of protective equipment and Fit for Work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus one to two years tractor-trailer driving experience or equivalent combination of education or experience (or as determined by Terminal Manager).
Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Must possess valid class “A” Commercial Driver’s License with Hazardous Material and Tanker endorsements in addition to an acceptable driving record. Must possess current DOT required medical card.
Ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with co-workers, supervisors, and managers, to understand procedures and warning signs and or markings in the English language, to respond to inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records. Ability to understand, CFR 49 Hazardous Material regulations. Hazardous communication training, respiratory protection training, PPE training, and environmental training must be completed.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide two-digit numbers.
Ability to understand detailed written and oral instructions; ability to prioritize and problem solve in time/safety-sensitive situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear while communicating with customers and co-workers in person or via telephone or radio.
Employee must be able to sit, stand or walk for extended periods (entire shift). Employee is required to use hands, fingers, arms, and feet to steer and operate controls of equipment and while manually lifting, moving or securing freight. And is required to kneel, stoop or crouch to examine equipment and cargo.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
REQUIRED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE):
Employee is required to wear PPE as outlined in AWE Industrial Health and Safety Manual Chapter 2.27 PPE Program, which may include hard hat, safety toe shoes/boots, gloves, chemical splash suits, safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection, respiratory protection and arctic gear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in outside weather conditions, (extreme cold and wet conditions) and occasionally works in high, precarious places. Employee is required to work with hazardous materials.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate however hearing protection may be required.
- Job Family 0700-Driver
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1095 Sanduri St, Fairbanks, AK 99701, USA