Research Tech I/II (Weiskopf Lab)
A full-time position for a research technician is available immediately with the Center for Infectious Disease and Vaccine Research at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (San Diego) in the lab of Dr. Daniela Weiskopf. The successful candidate will join group of researchers and be involved by performing experiments critical for high-impact projects investigating human T cell reactivity.Our research focuses on studying the T cell response against emerging pathogens, such as dengue, zika, and chikungunya viruses as well SARS-CoV-2.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Technician will primarily perform and analyze data derived from flow cytometry-based experiments using state-of-the-art flow cytometry technology; and apply a wide range of other immunological techniques including but not limited to isolating primary cells, long term cell culture, and FluoroSpot/ELISPOT assays.
Research Technician responsibilities will also include:
Preparing buffers, solutions, and routine lab chemicals. Laboratory administrative duties that include maintaining a research database, data entry into spreadsheets, and ordering/receiving supplies. Installing, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment. Organizing and keeping accurate and meticulous records of all reagents in freezers, refrigerators, and liquid nitrogen tanks.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry. Previous experience in a cellular/molecular biology laboratory is a bonus.
- Theoretical knowledge of biology, immunology, cell biology or related field at the college "upper division" level; or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic and advanced tissue culture techniques.
- Proven experience using laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, balances, and pipettes.
- Proven experience in accurate record keeping with ability to organize, analyze, and calculate data.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Positive attitude and ability to work as part of a team.
Demonstrated proficiency in flow cytometry, FluoroSpot/ELISPOT, Microsoft Office package, basic knowledge of programming.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous materials.
- Must be willing to work with human blood.
Interested applicants please submit the following in a single attachment:
1. A brief cover letter relating how your talents fulfill the criteria for this position
2. Your resume/CV
3. A minimum of two references (three preferred).
Applications without a cover letter will NOT be reviewed.
With over 30 different countries represented, diversity is respected and celebrated at LJI. We are committed to ensuring a safe and compassionate environment that is equal, just, and fair. Science and discovery benefit from a diversity of talents, a diversity of approaches, and a diversity of perspectives. The La Jolla Institute’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative is designed to help us identify areas at the Institute that need improvement so we can together create an environment that is inclusive, provides equal opportunities, and opens doors that propel our research for human health.
La Jolla Institute is committed to compensation that is externally competitive and internally equitable. We validate this commitment by conducting regular market analyses to remain competitive with organizations of similar size in the nonprofit, independent research sector. Compensation decisions consider a variety of factors including experience, education, unique skill sets, organizational need, and internal equity.
- Job Function RT
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $16.64
- Max Hiring Rate $32.54
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA