The Free Lance-Star seeks an enterprising full-time journalist to join its award-winning team covering local sports and news in the Fredericksburg region.
Candidate must be able to
• Write clear, concise and accurate stories using AP Style;
• Shoot and edit video, as well as create other digital components to stories;
• Build and maintain open lines of communication with beat sources;
• Balance high school sports and local government coverage;
• Be proficient in sports, feature and news writing;
• Be available to work some nights and weekends;
• Write on deadline while producing several stories each week;
• Take initiative to find story ideas and write others that are assigned;
• Conduct research and generate leads through community partnerships and engagement.
Whether you’re an aspiring reporter or an experienced journalist, we want to hear from you!
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume with references, and at least three clips to Managing Editor Andrea Russell at email@example.com and Sports Editor Steve DeShazo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting
work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive
benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program
includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company
provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer
a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid
time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This
includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of high-quality local news,
with 77 daily newspapers in 26 states that have print, digital and e-replica
versions. Lee's newspapers have a combined circulation of more than 1.2 million
daily. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We
also have a rapidly growing roster of digital products for consumers, and are
committed to aggressive digital growth.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We
are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects
the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we
recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.
- Job Family News
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star, 1340 Central Park Blvd, Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States of America