COOK, PART-TIME, SHERIFF'S DEPT
The Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department is seeking a part-time Cook who will be responsible for day-to-day food preparation and food transportation activities relating to providing meal service to the Kenosha County inmate population. Must have proper food preparation skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prepare meals on a large-scale basis. Tasks are performed under the direction of Chief Cook.
Kenosha County is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
2023 Hiring Range: $20.77 - $23.57 per hour
The normal work hours for this position are 10:30 AM to 6:30 PM. The employee will be scheduled to work various days of the week, including weekends and holidays.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Washes, peels, and slices fruits and vegetables; prepares and cooks meats; prepares soups and salads; bakes breads and other bakery items.
- Estimates quantities of food and supplies needed to meet menu requirements.
- Portions food in compliance with nutritional standards.
- Sets up food on steam tables and serves food to inmates or sets up tray for service to inmates.
- Determines utilization of leftovers.
- Controls and accounts for the use of food and supplies.
- Puts away and rotates stock.
- Maintains kitchen, refrigerators, equipment, and utensils in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Moves food pans, trays, carts, and supplies.
- Washes and dries dishes, pots and pans, serving trays, utensils, etc.
- Follows department procedures regarding kitchen safety and security.
- Supervises and trains inmate workers performing food service functions.
- Drives food service delivery truck.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Previous work-related experience in preparation of food on a large-scale basis
- Or any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the job
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Background free of felony convictions
- ServSafe Food Manager certified, or the ability to become certified
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Methods, principles, and equipment used in quantity food production
- Sanitation regulations relating to the handling and preparation of food
- Preparation of special diets, nutritional menus, and attractive and palatable food
- Written, verbal, and electronic communication
- Basic computer usage, including Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Follow oral and written instructions, procedures, recipes, and menus
- Train and supervise inmates in the preparation and serving of food and in other food service functions
- Comply with safety and security regulations in a detention facility
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position involves heavy physical demands, such as lifting floor to waist and carrying up to 60 pounds (bulk product – salt, flour, meat, etc.); shoulder level lifting at 50 pounds; carrying, pushing/pulling up to 50 hpf for 25 feet (crates of milk).
WORK SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
- This is a part-time position, working a rotating schedule of days off.
- Work hours will be 10:30 AM – 6:30 PM.
- Work may be performed at the Public Safety Building, Detention Center, or other locations.
- Application Review - Qualifying
- Background Investigation - Qualifying
- Oral Interview - Qualifying
- Physical Examination/Drug Screen – Qualifying
If you require accommodations at any point in the selection process because of a disability, please notify Human Resources in advance for arrangements.
To learn more about the Sheriff's Department, please visit: http://www.kenoshacounty.org/548/Sheriff
This posting will remain open until a sufficient number of applications are received. It is subject to close at any time without prior notice.
Kenosha County is a Wisconsin Retirement System participating employer. Your participation is required, which includes an employee contribution.
The pay grade for this position is NE5 (Min. $20.77 – Max. $26.37).
This position is located in Kenosha County, a growing community along the shores of Lake Michigan and less than an hour away from Milwaukee and Chicago. To see why Kenosha County is a great place to live, work, and play, visit: https://www.visitkenosha.com/
Thank you for your interest in employment with Kenosha County!
Kenosha County is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Kenosha County, WI, USA