Business Development Manager
The Business Development Manager is responsible for delivering profitable sales growth for their designated accounts by further developing existing relationships and identifying new prospective clients and/or sales opportunities.
This role is also responsible and accountable for sharing information which directly impacts sales, customer negotiations and discussions, competitive actions or our ability to provide quality projects and services to our customers.
Description of Essential Duties:
- Develop the sales strategy in partnership with key stakeholders and profitability targets in mind.
- Educate our customers and other key stakeholders about that strategy, to ensure the appropriate support and communication to our customers.
- Face to our JOA customers to ensure that their product is running smoothly and efficiently within their organization and meets the agreed upon expectations of the customer.
- Build account plans and strategies (leveraging our customer information and other JOA intel) to offer parts and service solutions for our customers. Executes on those strategies.
- Own, manage, and drive the “sales funnel” for your respective accounts. Ensure that you have sales prospects at each stage of the funnel, so you can anticipate upcoming opportunities and manage the funnel.
- Implement JOA brand strategies and tactics with the customer by identifying key decision makers and developing relationships.
- Embrace and drive the JOA strategic sales process – ensuring that account plans are in place and updated.
- Develop a firm, comprehensive understanding of our customers’ global business, including their business strategies to align JOA to potential opportunities.
- Gather intelligence to develop project charters, statements of work, and other internal correspondence to ensure that we develop the total solution to the customer.
- Engage the appropriate JOA resources to further the customer relationship and/or better understand the customer opportunity.
- Partner with Platform Engineers, Project Managers, Engineering, other Business Development Managers and Inside Sales organization to ensure technical product alignment with customer specifications.
- Own sales quoting process to ensure a thorough quote, while appropriately understanding and addressing project risk, and managing customer expectations.
- Drive customer negotiation process, engaging appropriate resources as needed.
- Gather and disseminate (as appropriate) market intelligence.
- Represent JOA as a thought-leader in the industry through your confidence, aligning our projects and services with customer’s needs.
- Ensures smooth hand-off to Project Leader once a sale is complete.
- Remains engaged with the customer throughout their project lifecycle to ensure we deliver on our commitments made during our sales process.
Description of Occasional Job Functions:
- Establishes, develops and manages new leads through frequent customer visits, participating and networking at the major trade industry conferences and/or exhibitions while promoting the company’s capabilities.
- Responds to all company inquiries.
- Assists in line audits at the customers’ facilities to develop additional business.
- Participates in the review of process feasibility for all new one of-a-kind web-based products.
Qualification Requirements: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.)
- Requires education generally equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Requires 10+ years of previous business experience with demonstrated career progression – preferably in engineering, manufacturing or sales roles.
- Demonstrated success in relationship-based sales of a technical product.
- A strong technical background and experience interfacing with an Engineering team is preferred.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office applications, and a CRM tool is preferred
- Demonstrate a source of business knowledge and problem-solving capabilities (leverage customer insights, identify risks and opportunities, and recommend action-based solutions).
- Must have the ability to read and understand blueprints, installation manuals, routings and other manufacturing instructions.
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 50% of the time.
Competencies of Role:
- Drive for Results: Counted to achieve, and frequently exceed designated goals; bottom-line oriented; pushes self and others for results; high level of commitment to personally getting things done.
- Negotiation: Can skillfully identify the needs and motives of both parties involved and works toward mutually beneficial agreements; can settle differences with minimal disruption; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust; has a good sense of timing.
- Global Business Knowledge: Understands business domestically and internationally; understands differences among countries (in customers, business practices, and culture); strong business acumen; understands that different laws apply to different countries; able to flex approach to meet different environments.
- Political Savvy: Navigate through complex political situations within an organization effectively; displays sensitivity to how people and organizations function; anticipates land mines and plans approach appropriately.
- Conflict Management: Embraces conflict as a natural and healthy part of business; sees conflict as potential opportunity; leverages strong listening skills to hammer out tough agreements and settle issues; finds common ground.
- Learning Agility: Ability to learn quickly especially when faced with something new; open to change; self-aware and learns from success as well as failure; is willing to experiment to find a solution; quickly grasp the essence or spirit of a situation.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people regardless of title or structure; can develop and maintain a positive relationship; uses diplomacy and tact; is able to calmly diffuse high-tense situations.
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Effectively copes with change; agile – switches gears comfortably; isn’t paralyzed by the need to have all of that data; is comfortable with the unknown or uncertain; can handle risk and uncertainty.
- Communication: Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills in order to interact effectively with employees and customers and be able to present oneself in a professional manner.
Protective Clothing Required:
The incumbent will utilize safety glasses, hearing protection, and comply with other company safety policies while performing the duties of this position as required for specific work site.
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “Occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more working time.)
While performing the duties and responsibilities of this position, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and reach above shoulders. The incumbent will regularly sit and move from place to place and will frequently talk and listen and use hands to finger, handle or touch. Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
During the performance of his/her duties, the incumbent will occasionally lift up to 25 pounds such as lifting luggage while traveling.
Tools/Equipment Utilized: During the performance of his/her duties, the employee will utilize a computer and printer, machine operating software, drafting and drawing software, fixed asset software, spreadsheet software, Workwise ERP system, phone, and copy machines.
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
This role may include travel up to 50% of the work time (and may include limited weekends). Travel may include business travels via aircrafts and motor vehicles to various locations. Work may include prolong periods of sitting, typing, viewing computer/laptop screens, along with occasional bending, reaching, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, walking, climbing, twisting, stooping and standing.
The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, work in high places and fumes or airborne particles.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation describes and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work that may be inherent in the occupation.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 40
- Telecommute % 0
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Curt G. Joa, Inc., 100 Crocker Avenue, Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, United States of America