Electrical Engineering Summer Internship Program
ISO New England Inc. keeps the lights on for more than 14 million customers. Through cutting-edge innovation and strong regional collaboration, our team of highly-trained professionals oversee the 24/7 operation of the region’s power grid, administer the $10+ billion wholesale electricity market and conduct power system planning, preparing for a cleaner grid.
Our Summer Internship Program provides students with projects that have a direct impact on New England’s current and future power grid. Not only will you work on your individual respective projects, our robust 11 week program is supplemented with professional development workshops, including individual resume review sessions, discussions on corporate email correspondences, and tips for interview etiquette to name a few, empowering luncheons with Senior Staff, field trips to a diverse mix generating stations, and countless opportunities to build your network. Upon completion of our Summer Internship Program, you will walk away with invaluable industry experience, resume building projects, and professional guidance making you a well-rounded candidate for employment.
The grid is changing drastically and ISO New England gives interns the opportunity to be creative as an engineer, as you play a critical role in the problematic solutions and pave the way to a green future!
We have several Electrical Engineering internship available. Join our team and do work that matters this summer!
Electrical Engineering Internships include:
• Real Time Market Support – Real Time Markets Support department is currently pursuing technology upgrade for legacy applications, which are running 24X7 and providing vital insights on Electric Power Grid and Energy markets to Control Room operations. As part of the technology upgrade, the software development team is developing solutions using RESTful Micro services and HighCharts under Springboot and or cloud based Docker containers. The candidate will work in latest technology suite using Java, RESTful micro services architecture. The ideal candidate can develop software and or provide test automation insights or prepare metrics for performance evaluation with the help from senior developers and architects.
• Long Term Outage Coordination – This intern will primarily help with development and enhancement of the TARA software which is used to thermally evaluate transmission outages. These evaluations aim to maximize reliability, while minimizing economic impacts to the system. These enhancements to the TARA software will minimize manual study efforts that are needed to be performed by the Outage Coordinators at ISO-NE. Further expansion of additional software tools used by the team will be explored, and automation of tasks will be a focus for this candidate as well.
• Market Administration and Auctions – In this role, you will assist in in-depth software testing, ad hoc analysis as well as administrative duties. You will help to establish training process and documentations and be exposed to the core production duties of the Market Administration and Auctions Department.
• Power System Model Management – In this internship, you will assist the Model Administration and Support team with data handling, updating the New England network model, creating planning study cases for Transmission Owners, updating generation profiles by collating data from various sources, reviewing, and maintaining contingencies, project data, load profiles and resource data.
• Innovation and Automation Engineer – Our intern will learn from our subject matter experts to perform techno-economic studies and help bring new insights in how to innovate and automate studies to help incorporate new grid of the future concepts and improve efficiency to increase performance. This internship will provide immediate value to a future engineer as it will provide insights to the challenges of renewable integration.
• Resource Qualifications – The internship will focus on providing support to the new generator qualification process. New generator projects evaluated cover many technologies - combined cycle, offshore wind, and co-located solar/battery projects, just to name a few. Activities performed in this process include reviewing submitted project data, running transmission powerflow studies, and coordinating with others internal/external to ISO.
• System Operations - The candidate will assist ISO's electromagnetic transient working group (EMTWG) in testing, packaging and managing EMT models of inverter based resource (IBR) projects by following the established model processing procedure. In addition, necessary documentation and knowledge sharing will be needed.
• Transmission Planning – The intern position will assist in the analysis of the New England transmission system. This work may include model development, system analysis, and support services such as data management.
• Transmission Service Studies – In this internship, you will work with the engineer responsible for maintaining the ISO’s Dynamic Database Management System to assess Generator Owner changes to stability modeling requirements, identify non-conformance and work with Generation Owners to attain conformance with the ISO’s modeling requirements. Additional assignments will include performing power system analysis with industry software to augment generation interconnection studies under the guidance of department engineers assigned to leading generation interconnection studies.
• Operations Analysis and Integration – In this role, you will review existing software and processes used by members of System Operations & Market Administration team to identify areas for improvement. You will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, implementing, and maintaining departmentally created software enhancements for the members of System Operations & Market Administration.
Clarity of purpose is the starting point for all success. The ISO’s mission, vision, and values define our purpose—these values serve as the cultural cornerstones of the organization.
What We Offer: Located in Holyoke, MA amid the picturesque Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, our interns get the best of both rural and urban living, enjoying day-to-day local community culture and conveniences with drivable access to big city amenities. In addition to our competitive pay, our interns have we access to our onsite fitness center and a cafeteria with free coffee.
COVID-19 Policy: Employee safety and well-being is a priority at ISO New England. To safeguard our teams and the important work they do, ISO New England has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Equal Opportunity: We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
Drug Free Environment: We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Monday, June 5, 2023
- Job End Date Friday, August 18, 2023
- ISO New England Inc., One Sullivan Road, Holyoke, Massachusetts, United States of America